+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Avoiding the Big 2

Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Why are they a necessary evil? They're destroying competition and small businesses, once they have complete marget share they can charge whatever they want.
    Time and money basically. I do agree with you.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Avoiding the Big 2

Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Why are they a necessary evil? They're destroying competition and small businesses, once they have complete marget share they can charge whatever they want.
    They will always been in competition with each other. I don't avoid them I do all my shopping at Coles *shrug* I don't see the big deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    They will always been in competition with each other. I don't avoid them I do all my shopping at Coles *shrug* I don't see the big deal.
    It seems most people shop at either of them so they'll always have a customer, but what I mean is when the alternatives go like independent grocers, farmers markets etc then the Big 2 can charge what they want. Not to forget that their price war hurts our farmers.

Thanks
    Reviews

I boycott them all but it's taken awhile to get to this point. We buy 100% organic food so everything is from the local organic shop or organic butcher, cosmetics are from the organic shop or online, toys are bought online as we don't have any plastic toys anyway. We buy toilet paper and tissues from Aldi. DP has finally stopped buying beer from Dan Murphys. We avoid their petrol stations where possible but I'm guilty of forgetting to fill up until a little beeping light reminds me as I'm ducking into the closest one I can find!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wish we had an Aldi here! Damn Townsville.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate them both. The quality of their produce and meat is getting worse by the week! I did a Coles shop last week and half the meat was full of gristle and even one lot of mince was GREEN in the middle Ive never had a dodgy piece of meat from IGA. Our local IGA is a bit of a drive for me though I try and get vegies and fruit from the local fruit shop now. Woolies is trying to flatten him though

Bananas are the biggest freaking rip off going with Coles and Woolies, I refuse to pay more than $2 a kilo for them, my father used to grow them for a living and I know the ins and outs of the wholesale market for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjong View Post
    I hate them both. The quality of their produce and meat is getting worse by the week! I did a Coles shop last week and half the meat was full of gristle and even one lot of mince was GREEN in the middle Ive never had a dodgy piece of meat from IGA. Our local IGA is a bit of a drive for me though I try and get vegies and fruit from the local fruit shop now. Woolies is trying to flatten him though

Bananas are the biggest freaking rip off going with Coles and Woolies, I refuse to pay more than $2 a kilo for them, my father used to grow them for a living and I know the ins and outs of the wholesale market for them.
    And I hate the way they only accept the absolutely perfect size/shape/coloured produce, so so so much produce gets thrown out before it even gets on a truck because the big 2 won't take it. So much waste.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Mmm how are they unethical?
    We try to buy organic or local when possible so we get veggies from the Sunday markets (they keep sooo much longer than the ones from the grocery store) we try to buy meat from the local butcher as much as possible as I find his meat to be better quality and they get it from the local farms. I do use whoolies and Coles points/rewards programs for staples, I read the labels and buy the ones with less preservatives.
    As far as clothes go I use eBay a lot! Baby clothes especially they are usually in very good condition.
    I'm still pulling out new toys from my baby shower, but I've bought new stuff like a jungle gym and bits and pieces usually from B-G vv when on discount we have baby n1 and plan on more so all that will get good use!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Avoiding the Big 2

We don't have a choice. The 'specialty' stores like green grocers and butchers are too expensive near us and our local IGA are a COMPLETE rip off. They charge $2-$3 for every item and have no variety.
    Be nice if we could support our locals but we just don't have the money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    Mmm how are they unethical?
    Well the price war for starters, forcing farmers to take less and less money.

I really dislike the way they seem to be popping up everywhere, within walking distance of a woolies is another woolies!