+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Avoiding the Big 2

That being C.oles and Woolies.

Does anyone else do this? I find them to just be so unethical, I hate their chain stores, their quality is crap and they just. keep. growing. Like a plague. There's about to be another C.oles open less then 1km from the Woolies which is just over 1km from a complex with both of them. Which also has Tar.get and Big Dub. Seriously!

We buy fruit, vege, meat, dairy and coconut products locally. We don't buy cleaning or personal care products from a store either. We don't buy clothes from Big Dub or T.arget anymore, we mostly do hand me downs. Or hand knits What I struggle with is - loo paper, bread when I can't be bothered baking, toys (I would love to go WAHM but they're so flippin expensive at times). I know I should utilize my organic/asian grocers but dammit they're all the way across town and the big 2 are right at my doorstep.

Anyway, anyone else actively boycotting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

No. I'm just way to busy to be flitting around to local farmers markets, and I'm too poor to buy organic products from local health food store. I go to a butcher, fish shop and a vegie market in my street, but I don't think it's local produce. I wish I could but it's just not feasible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We don't flit around, we go, pick up our order and leave, and we're on one (small) income, but have found it's not really that much more expensive once we cut luxury food items like soft drinks and snacks and just stuck to the basics.

Thanks
    Reviews

I avoid them as much as I can, we get all our meat/veg/fruit/ from our organic shop or butcher/fruit shop , seafood from the fish markets, bread from the organic shop or bakers delight, I get the bulk of my groceries from our local IGA, owned by locals if he does not stock a product I want he will get it in for me!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use a local butcher and a local business that delivers fruit and veg to your door, but still spend $170 at the supermarkets per fortnight. Actually considering their click and collect service as it seems so much easier with two kids that kick up a stink each time we shop.... but it would be nice if they ceased to exist.
    A shopping plaza recently popped up in our sleepy suburb, I do feel badly for the smaller long established businesses, the street is like a ghost street compared to what it used to be, but good for me now I can find a park lol!

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah I realised after I wrote my post that I don't go to the major supermarkets much at all, so I guess I do avoid them in a way. But it's purely because I have a market on my street. I don't but many snacks and processed foods anyway, but there is still no way in the world on my tiny income and large rent that I could go organic sadly.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I boycott them for sure. 99% of the time anyway. We live rural and don't have a Wool.ies here yet, but I do choose to shop at IGA rather than C.oles any day. C's quality is cr@p. all their snap frozen veg doesn't last and don't get me started on what they have done to our dairy farmers with the milk price wars, or their special lighting to make their meat look better than it actually is.

The only time I go in there is if it's unavoidable. There are a few things the local IGA doesn't have, and they sometimes run out of milk and bread on long weekends, so occasionally I do shop there, but it's very rare as I try to plan ahead!

I get my veg from the local veg shop as its mostly from around this area, cheap, fresh and lasts nearly a fortnight in the fridge.

I get eggs from the markets (used to get my veg but the shop is cheaper) and support the local industries where I can.

IGA helps the community. They have fresh local produce. They are always donating money to the schools, clubs and places like that, so I feel good about shopping there. You also get $20 back for every $1000 you spend which is a far better deal than fly.buys!! All the big 2 do is employ people. Great for them, but they do nothing to help the local community or farmers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I don't buy soft drinks anyway, but I don't avoid them as much as I should as my local shopping centre has a horrible butcher and fruit shop. The produce is actually better in woolworths. I do get Aussie farmers direct and sometimes I go to IGA and aldi.

I buy my eggs from my school as we keep chickens

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Avoiding the Big 2

I avoid the petrol stations, but the supermarket is a necessary evil. I try to avoid homebranded products.

Oh, and I avoid SW/WW after they disabled the credit function for visa debit cards to save a buck.
    Last edited by Stiflers Mom; 03-09-2012 at 08:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiflers Mom View Post
    I avoid the petrol stations, but the supermarkets are a necessary evil. I try to avoid homebranded products.
    Why are they a necessary evil? They're destroying competition and small businesses, once they have complete marget share they can charge whatever they want.