+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How long is your work day?

Just curious as to how 10 hour work days seem to be the normal now as I embark on another week. I'm concerned about how I'm going to cope going back to work next year after my first baby - in my profession it is very unusual to have less than a 10 hour (and often longer) working day.

So how many of us do these long hours and how does that affect family life with bubs under 1 year of age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I work 10 hours a day every day (8-6) I don't have kids but it does effect me sleep wise as I am always exhausted after looking after my 2 little charges everyday, but also try to have me time before I sleep such as dinner with friends, going for a walk or just watching a show

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    At the moment I work

M,T & T 9.15 ~ 4.30 at the office and 6.30 ~ 8.30 at home,
    W 9~5 at the office,
    F 9.00~3.30 at home
    S 2 hours at home and
    S 1.5 hour on site

Thanks
    Reviews

I work full time (37.5 hours a week) on rotating rosters. Some weeks starting as early as 6.30am, others finishing as late as 9.30pm. Two weeks out of a 7 week cycle I do my hours over 4 days, so mostly 10 hour days. There's also heaps of opportunity for overtime which I sometimes do. Factor in travel time and I'm gone for at least 12 hours a day. Life is hectic and I average 4 hours of broken sleep a night. I guess you just make it work

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How long is your work day?

I work in local government and work 7 hours per day. If I worked full time it would be 8. My partner works for a fairly large engineering company and works 8 hours. There are family friendly workplaces around, depending on your industry. In DP's industry the 'norm' is 10+ hours but he just won't do that as he has put his family before his career.

A friend of mine is an events manager and used to work insane 60-70 hour weeks. She had a breakdown and has started up her own company where she works about half that, and is still winning awards for her work and making good money.

I'm not saying its easy for everyone to get more of a work/life balance, but there are options if you don't want to work that hard.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I currently work in customer service. I do mon 8.30-5, Tues 9-4 and Fri 9-4. On Tues and Fri I can't start any earlier or work later as I have to get DS to/from DC. It took me months to find a part time job that suited my hours. Most wanted me to be avail on a rotating roster (some 24 hrs) which is just impossible with kids, let alone uni. If I was available 24 hrs a day, why would I be looking for a part time job? My job is very busy and a bit stressful, but I'm not leaving because I know I won't get another boss as flexi as mine.

Thanks
    Reviews

I work 8:30-4:30 Monday to Friday with a half hour lunch break so 7 1/2 hours a day

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm generally on an 8-6 day with a 1/2 hour break for lunch. Add in travel time and I'm away from home 11 hours. 8:30 to 4:30 sounds wonderful

I guess I'm still searching for that mythical life/work balance I hear so much about......

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I work evenings so my hours are limited by school pickup and closing time of my work ! I generally work 5 hours on Monday's and Tuesday's, 6 hours on a Wednesday, and 7-8 hours on a Sunday. I believe strongly in work and life balance, and although I do work 10+ hour shifts every now and then when I'm needed I am always exhausted after them and it's not worth it to be wrecked for a few days trying to recover! My job is pretty full on (always running around! And never sitting down. Hardly get breaks etc) so at times a 5 hour shift can wreck you more than a 10 hour shift on a slow day!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

My hours vary. For the past 3wks, on a Tuesday I have been working from 6:45am through til 10pm each night as I am always asked to do overtime. The other days can vary but usually do 6:45am til 3pm. Weekends if I work, its always a 6:30am-10pm always as forever asked to do overtime.

I don't drive either so we leave home at 6am each day and get home about 4pm , sometimes later depending on if we miss the bus.

Doing those shifts absolutely wreak me if I do more than 3 in a row so I like to have a day off here and there. Was asked to work today but said no.

Over the school holidays when I have someone minding DS I will be doing doubles everyday. Hoping to pull some 1:30pm to 6:30am shifts then start again at 1:30pm.

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub