+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My induction lead to the cascade of intervention. I was not fully informed of the dangers of induction and trusted the hospital knew what they were doing. I was induced... Not much happened all day then when contactions hit at about 8pm at night I was in pain and scared and told I had a long way to go and my hubby had to go home because he could not stay in the maternity ward overnight. I was left alone and afraid all night contracting by myself. The next day is a blur and my waters were broken I had morphine (the night before), I had anything I could orally, I was then given an epidural and the synto drip. Then because my son was not down low enough, and even though I was fully dialated I could not birth him and was taken for an emergency cesaeran which was a horrible experience. I can honestly say I don't look back on my sons birth with fond memories. I was scared, not only be my cesarean but emotionally and those wounds take longer to heal.

When I fell pregnant with DD there was no way it was happening again. I had a completely natural spontaneous labor at 41+4. It was easy to cope with the pain, my daughter was ready to be birthed and it was an amazing healing experience.

And although there are risks with a VBAC, there are also higher risks of a rupture with an induction, that is why you need to be monitored when you are induced and a rupture of an unscarred uterus is usually more dangerous than one with a scar. I had no idea of the dangers of induction because the hospital didn't care to inform me, and had I known what I was getting myself into there is NO WAY I would have allowed it to happen.

I understand this is not always the case but more often than not an induction leads to futher intervention which then leads to further risks for mother and baby. Please do as much research as you can and make an informed decision before you agree to an induction.

It is your baby and your body and you have the right to decline if you wish. But like a PP said alot can happen between now and you induction date. Good luck OP, I hope you get whatever birth you want

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Why is induction so bad?

I think some of the responders to this thread need to put their personal agendas to one side and think about the OP for a minute. She is nervous about what she is facing - is this proganda really helping her or just pushing your cause?

OP - I never had an induction and intended on a fully natural labour. In the end I had a massive baby and small hips so in consultation with my Drs I put my "dream" birth to one side and decided to go C section. Unfortunately things don't always go to plan but the best thing you can do is focus on staying positive. There are plenty of options available to you so don't be scared - contrary to what a lot of people will have you think, your Drs and care givers only have your and your baby's best interests at heart.
    Good luck x

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (03-09-2012),SugarSkull  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Ive nothing to compare it to as both my DD's were induced but i certainly wouldnt describe it as a negative experience.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlover View Post
    I think some of the responders to this thread need to put their personal agendas to one side and think about the OP for a minute. She is nervous about what she is facing - is this proganda really helping her or just pushing your cause?

OP - I never had an induction and intended on a fully natural labour. In the end I had a massive baby and small hips so in consultation with my Drs I put my "dream" birth to one side and decided to go C section. Unfortunately things don't always go to plan but the best thing you can do is focus on staying positive. There are plenty of options available to you so don't be scared - contrary to what a lot of people will have you think, your Drs and care givers only have your and your baby's best interests at heart.
    Good luck x
    The thread is named "Why is induction so bad?" and the OP is

Quote Originally Posted by FingersxCrossed View Post
    Everyone always seems so negative about it and it's making me nervous. I'm booked in to be induced on 9 Sept at 40+10.
    As stated in my previous post, some stats for a first time mother who is being induced:
    - 30.4% emergency CS rate
    - 24.6% instrument delivery (ie forceps or ventouse)
    - 44.9% chance of a vaginal delivery
    These statistics are from The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

There are many women on this forum who have suffered traumatic births because their babies were induced. I've yet to hear of a woman who has been provided detailed information on the risks of induction provided from their health care providers. If you were about to undergo a medical procedure that had a 30% chance that you might end up having emergency surgery wouldn't you like to know this risk? (As well as all the other associated risks?)

As for "pushing our cause", our cause is to empower women to get the information they deserve, to make the best decision for themselves and their baby. I think your belief that doctors and care givers only have the patients best interest at heart is naive. Have you read through the birth trauma section or spoken to a woman who as a result of intervention is left with both bladder and bowel incontinence, or the woman who has nightmares about the care givers who ridiculed her for wanting a natural birth and bullied her into various interventions and that's before you even get to birth rape.

I'm speaking from first hand experience about induced birth and spontaneous, intervention free birth, please don't be so dismissive about the trauma and sadness I and so many women have endured as a result of health care providers not putting our best interests at heart.
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 02-09-2012 at 22:30.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

babyla  (02-09-2012),Bubbles10  (03-09-2012),delirium  (02-09-2012),headoverfeet  (02-09-2012),misskittyfantastico  (02-09-2012),Mom2TwoDSs  (03-09-2012),Sarelou  (02-09-2012),Theophania  (02-09-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Well said Bec!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Spot on Bec!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Bedlover - the Op asked why some consider induction to be bad, we have answered. Not with propaganda but facts. That's not to say I would talk the OP out of it, or judge her, not at all. But I do believe that given she asked we can respond.

Knowledge is power

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (03-09-2012),Mom2TwoDSs  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

OP please don't let these responses scare you. Talk to your doctor if you have any concerns. This forum can be very anti-doctor/medicine.

Best advice is to keep an open mind because with birth, anything can happen. You can't really plan it.

You'll do great! xo

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (03-09-2012),SugarSkull  (02-09-2013)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    ive had 2 induced births, the first at 41+3 weeks due to preeclampsia, the second due to 18hrs of labour with meconium in the amniotic fluid, and not dilating more than 1cm in that time.
    1st birth was horrible (episiotomy, ventouse, shoulder dystocia, severe hemmorhage, nerve damage to bub) 2nd was great (laboured with the fitball in the shower once the drip went in, 8 minutes of pushing my boofa, tear on episiotmy scar but birthed into my hands)
    my body doesnt seem to be able to maintain contractions.
    if i could choose a natural birth= i would in a heartbeat.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you for the replies. I had never heard of the cascade so that was interesting.

While the idea does make me nervous, I feel a bit more empowered by understanding.

I can only go with the flow in terms of my labour. I don't have a birth plan because I would be stressed if one thing started to go amiss.

Having said all of that I have been experiencing what I think is contractions now and pre labour! So induction may or may not be necessary now yay!!