Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Step mums need your reassurance

any time I see ds with it near step mum it's always so cold. I don't see more than about a minute but she doesn't offer to say goodbye or want a cuddle or anything.

I've made it clear that I'm happy for her to be part of his family and that ds can even call her mum if he wants too, I won't get upset. But I guess that isn't the norm.

Please reassure me that some of you have fabulously close relationships with your step kids but don't do goodbyes out affection in front of bio mum.

Forgive any weird substitutions... Silly phone, but I still love it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

How long have they been together?
    I never showed affection to DSD for a very long time as I thought it would upset BM, now we do hugs and kisses goodbye but it still feels a bit odd.
    Hopefully she is the same

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't see my DSS's mother so she wouldn't know how close we actually are. We have a fantastic relationship full of hugs & kisses. We do homework together everyday he is with us and sometimes even reaches out to me to ask questions instead of his father.

I would just be asking your child if they are happy and if she is nice to him. Kids are pretty honest.

Hope everything is all good :-) I wish my DSS's mother was more like you!

Thanks
    Reviews

I really believe that is has to do with her feeling uncomfortable. Even of you have been so open and accommodating, perhaps that was uncomfortable for her?

I'm not in an exact step mum/bio mum situation but I do feel uncountable in doing a big affectionate good bye in front of the other parent figure. We usually do it in the car instead though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: Step mums need your reassurance

They've been together for a long time and they're very much in love. They have their own little family unit which is gorgeous.

I guess I freak out that my son is a guest in their family more than a part of it, but I guess that's just me jumping to worse case scenario since I'm not allowed to ask them anything.

Ds is too young to talk about it. He doesn't talk much yet, and I am very wary of asking him questions too

Forgive any weird substitutions... Silly phone, but I still love it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I will comment on how my DP is with my children when we handover with their Dad. Hope that is okay.

When they are here with DP and I they are very affectionate and play and tease him, make presents for him etc etc. An example was that we got breakfast in bed today because we are special. The girls could not be at their Dads this weekend due to him being away.

On change overs we leave it to the girls. They always say good bye sometimes they give him a hug more often not, though. When we pick them up they always say hello but don't give him a cuddle and usually wait until we are at home.

We have always just left it up to the girls what they do with DP.

It sounds from your side that there is a wonderful relationship there though

I know my DP is uncomfortable around my ex, so maybe it is that, rather than a reflection of her relationship with your DS

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Step mums need your reassurance

My DS' step mum is always affectionate towards him in front of me. At first I hated it, but now I am glad she adores him as opposed to not..

Me 27 - with DS, 7, DD, 2, and beanie due 1/5/13!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. Im not a step mum but my kids have a step dad (my DP) He shows sooo much affection all the time to the boys. Even when their dad turns up to get them. We all hang out and chat for a bit, DP (and me of course) give the kids lots of hugs and kisses before they go and when they get home.

I would honestly like to know how XDP feels when he sees this. I was talking today to DP that I hope I dont get all green eyed with jealousy when the kids eventually get a step mum and not the flavour of the month

Thanks
    Reviews

It's been 7years and I still don't give DSD a kiss or cuddle around her mum but I will never fail to say 'love you', I suppose for me a do it out of respect for her mum and I can tell by DSD body language that she's not up for it at hat time. I will always give her a hug and kiss goodnight and when she leave here too (DH drops her off)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm very rarely affectionate toward DSS. I just don't have a very close bond/relationship with him due to the fact that he lives so far away so we don't have him very often and I also don't feel comfortable.
    DF and I have only been together 2years though and DSS is only 5. I think he is an awesome kid, but we just haven't been able to build a strong relationship. He also isn't very keen on initiating affection, and I don't see the point in pushing him into something he isn't interested in.
    Maybe with time things will get easier. I am far from an evil step mum lol but certain circumstances stops us from being able to bond.

I think it's great that your pushing for a positive relationship between your son and his stepmum, maybe she just doesn't feel comfortable yet and things will get more comfortable with time

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast