+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please help my 7 month old sleep

Just wanted to let you know your not alone! My 7 month old son is similar. He used to sleep a long block but not anymore. He was waking a lot with wind pains from solids, I thought he was teething but no teeth yet, and he's starting to look more like crawling...which disrupts sleep as well. The last few nights he's been a bit better, maybe because I cut out yoghurt or maybe unrelated! I just keep thinking its a phase that will pass!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Please help my 7 month old sleep

BD77...did you stop eating yoghurt or your DS? Mine is the same as PPs...slept through from 10 weeks then very wakeful from 4 1/2 months. He's 7 months now...

Thanks
    Reviews

OP - I would start by looking at your day sleeps. 3 to 4 naps of 20-30 mins each is not long enough for a baby that age. Your LO should be getting more like 3.5-4 hours each day (typically in two large blocks - one around 9ish depending on wake up time and one early arvo).

A sleep cycle is typically 45 mins so it is concerning that your Bub doesn't get through a whole sleep cycle during the day. What it sounds like to me is at night your LO is getting through 2 sleep cycles and then doesn't know how to get back to sleep without food. They def don't need that much food throughout the night so are using food and suckling as a sleep aid.

In my personal situation and for lots of mums I know, what worked is sorting out day sleeps and using them to teach your baby how to settle themselves back to sleep after a sleep cycle finishes. This is also good because teaching in the middle of the night isn't fun for anyone!! Once Bub is sleeping for at least 1.5 hours at a time with no intervention from you during the day, you should see a massive improvement in night sleeping.

Good luck - it is hard trying to teach babies to sleep when it is so much easier during the day to just get them up, but it really is worth it in the long run.
    Xx

Ps. There are plenty of gentle 'teach to sleep' techniques out there that don't involve CC. A friend put me onto Baby Bliss and it worked from me

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with pp's to eliminate hunger as the reason for the waking by increasing the protein in his diet. Meat, eggs, fish, lentils, couscous, pasta, rice etc. At 7 months he can eat what you are having.

Thanks
    Reviews

Cat21, cut out him having yoghurt ... I cut the solids right down to just small amounts of pear and sweet potato and yoghurt for breakfast and lunch, but he was still waking screaming until the wind passed. So trying no yoghurt the last few days... Might be unrelated tho, maybe his tummy has just adjusted a bit ?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Babyduck77 For This Useful Post:

Cat21  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by bedlover View Post
    OP - I would start by looking at your day sleeps. 3 to 4 naps of 20-30 mins each is not long enough for a baby that age. Your LO should be getting more like 3.5-4 hours each day (typically in two large blocks - one around 9ish depending on wake up time and one early arvo).
    Can you tell me how? She's been like this for so long now. I've read about these 40 minute sleep cycles on here but have never seen one. I just figured my LO was destined to be a cat napper. I'd love more than 30 minutes. It's hard to get things done around the house with so few naps.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My DD was/is a terrible sleeper from birth so I feel your pain. I think about 7 months she was a nightmare. She had started solid food but we did baby led weaning and she just didn't really get it until she was about 9 months so she was pretty much exclusively bf'd until then. (I tried everything to get her to eat, she flat out refused to take any food of a spoon and still does - unless it's ice cream )

The way I coped was we bedshared and I just popped her on the boob whilst I slept. It was very normal for her to wake every hour or so and she blatantly refused to sleep alone (she was like that from birth!). I tried cutting out caffiene but nothing changed. As an infant she only cat napped for 20 mins at a time and at 7 months it was normal for her to only have 2 x 30 or so minute sleeps during the day. Bf babies can be very unpredictable and often don't follow patterns like ff babies do (which is often what baby literature is based on).

Best of luck and I hope you get some quality sleep soon!

ETA: Some babies just don't do sleep, google "wakeful babies". My son was a catnapper too but at least he did 40 minute cycles!
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 02-09-2012 at 23:01.

Thanks
    Reviews

So she's made a total liar of me tonight. Would not go to sleep at 7, I tried everything. Finally by 10:30pm she'd fallen asleep and she just woke up! Surely a 10:30 bedtime isn't encouraged to get a 4 hour first sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Solids or heavy solids at dinner time were often on the nights that we had horrible sleep with DD1 at that age.

Even now at 2yo we give her a big meal at lunch and a smaller one in the evening as she just doesn't sleep well if she is overfed. Gets up constantly to POO!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs E View Post
    Can you tell me how? She's been like this for so long now. I've read about these 40 minute sleep cycles on here but have never seen one. I just figured my LO was destined to be a cat napper. I'd love more than 30 minutes. It's hard to get things done around the house with so few naps.
    I hear you! You barely take a breath and the 30 mins are over!! Well done on last night though - great result!!

So how did i do it? I am not going to sugar coat it... It was hard work! What I did (and not suggesting this is for everyone) is when DS woke I left him until he was noisy / crying rather than going in a soon as he opened his eyes (we have video monitor). Then I would pat, rock and shush without taking him out of his bed. If he got really upset I would give him a cuddle to calm him down and then put him back in bed and carry on with the shush, stroke, rock thing. If he was crying the rocking seemed to work best for us, and if he was quiet we would stroke down his forehead and over his eyes which he liked. We would just keep doing this until he had spent at least 1.5 hours in his bed. At first this consisted of mainly awake time but then just as I was about to give up he slept for 1.5 hours straight! I didn't know what to do with myself!! He did go back to waking again though so I would resettle and sometimes he would only sleep for another 15 mins but at least he was down in his bed for the right amount of time.

Somedays I just wasn't up for the grueling task of resettling so I just wouldn't do it. Other days he would be smiling and laughing and I thought there is no point as you aren't going back to sleep, so I would just get him up. In retrospect this probably drew out the whole process but I firmly believe mummy's sanity is number 1 priority and if that is right everything else will fall into place. Like all things baby you need to be consistent and persistent. (note - throughout this time my son was exclusively breastfed)

So it took about a month all up for me but he now does 1.5 hrs straight through twice a day, occasionally more! Once they learn the skill they can apply it to night sleeping as well.

I attended a heap of talks and seminars on this subject and sleep regression around 4 mths is common and well documented. Other things that were suggested which have probably been covered already are making sure day feeds are FULL feeds rather than just snacks. This was happening to me so I extended the time between feeds to 4 hrs so that he was hungry and really eating a belly full rather than having a few sucks then looking around at the world. When they do this they find they get more milk at the night feeds (cause there is nothing to look at) so continue day snacking and steadily increase the number of night feeds so that they are getting their full daily milk requirements.

The other things that were suggested are what you are already doing: establish solid bedtime routine (bath, feed, bed) and cluster feeding in the late afternoon.

I really hope things turn around for you. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate and a bit more sleep for mummy would be really helpful!