+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please help my 7 month old sleep

My DD is 7 months old. She slept like a typical newborn till about 12 weeks old and everything just seemed to fall into place. She'd sleep between 6-8 hours for her first sleep. Then she hit 4.5 months old and it all fell apart. I'm pretty sure she started teething then to. For the past 10 weeks she wakes up every 2 hours for a feed throughout the night. She'll feed for 20-30 minutes then be awake again in 2 hours time. That's 2 hours from the beginning of the feed to, so in essence every 1.5 hours.

She's BF and gaining plenty of weight. She gobbles down her veggies or fruit I mash for her no problems. We bed share also as its the only way I'm getting any sleep.

I feel like a walking zombie most days. Early on she was in the love me wraps and now a summer sleeping bag with pj's underneath in accordance with the temperature for that night. This change didn't increase or decrease her sleep.

I've tried cluster feeding from about 5pm till her bedtime at 7pm. She has a bath, play, feed bedtime routine. She'll feed to sleep no worries, even pulls off the boob awake and will then just fall asleep beside me no worries.

I've tried patting and shooshing when she wakes up after 2 hours but she just ends up screaming. I'm not interested in doing CC. Is there anything I can try to get more than 2 hours sleep out of her?

I'm back at work 3 days a week (DD comes to work with me) and in the middle of the night I never fall back to sleep straight away. I swear I'm lucky to be getting 3-4 hours sleep some nights.

I even tried baby osteo last week. That night DD did a 6 hour first sleep then 2 hourly after that. Every night since has been 2 hourly.

I hope I don't sound too pitiful I'm just really after any tips. Thanks

ETA - I should add that she naps 3 or 4 times for 20-30 minute naps per day.
    If we are out and about during the day she'll happily go 2-4 hours between feeds!
    Last edited by Mrs E; 02-09-2012 at 18:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Not helpful but my dd1 went from 10-12hrs straight straight at 6mths to 1-6 wake ups between 6-8/9mths then 2 till I night weaned at 14mths.

This is the age when separation anxiety kicks in and teeth play a big role. I would recommend you cut all caffeine out of your diet from midday, drink some relaxing or calming tea before bed and go to bed when bub does.

Good luck. It does improve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    just wanted to let you know you are not alone. my 7 month old wakes 1-2 hourly all night long, and so i cosleep too.

on a good day, he has 1 three hour nap during the day (his longest stretch of sleep), but nights he doesn't do long blocks.

however, my dd was a shocker, even worse actually up to 18 months of age, but now at 2.5 years most nights she sleeps all the way through. there is hope!

can you get your partner or a friend to look after her for a few hours on the weekend so you can catch up on sleep?

i learnt from my dd that often they just won't sleep until they are ready, and so you have to do what you can for you until they get there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with RandA - it does improve!

My DS sounds a bit similar, slept well and then major sleep regression.

We have found a couple of things have helped us.

I always jump up really quickly when I hear him stir - I think this partly would wake him up when he was in the process of re-settling. I spent a day at my mums house and we worked on me not going in straight away and letting him settle himself to sleep (before anyone jumps to conclusions - he was not crying, he was grizzling, which I would always take as crying, it wasn't). This really helped. I then went home and spent a few days doing this during the night, I really needed my DH's help with stopping me running in at the first sound he made. This meant that when he woke during the night he was able to re-settle, I set myself a time of no longer than 10 minutes of grizzling and then I'd go in, if he was crying I would go in straight away.

I also got a flexible routine happening, that starts at 7am everyday, I think this has definitely helped too.

It's still a bit up and down but 5 nights out of 7 he sleeps through.

Is she eating any protein? I think my DS slept better once eating protein.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Please help my 7 month old sleep

Omg subscribing to read any tips! my 7 month old DS is exactly the same from birth, except he needs to be patted back to sleep at least every 2 hours on top of feeds, we co sleep too.
    I'm pregnant with number 2 now and pretty terrified that I will never sleep again! Hope someone has some hints that I can pinch, good luck with tonight hope everyone sleeps well!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Is she eating any protein? I think my DS slept better once eating protein.
    I tried her on a sachet yesterday actually and I swear she was screaming yesterday arvo with a belly ache. I've taken some extra meat out of the freezer tonight so I'll shred some to try rather than a sachet.

Thanks
    Reviews

I feel your pain there are a few things you could try
    Try eliminating caffeine out of your diet and possibly dairy too. Try a prebiotic ( worked wonders for me) failing this I would assume seperation anxiety and does get easier. I have had friends raving about sleep clinics so you could look into that.
    It does get easier. for me the 10 month mark was the winner.. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs E View Post
    I tried her on a sachet yesterday actually and I swear she was screaming yesterday arvo with a belly ache. I've taken some extra meat out of the freezer tonight so I'll shred some to try rather than a sachet.
    Maybe try something like chicken with veggies and then put it through the food processer, my DS seems to go ok when it's done like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just offer meat for them to suck on, no need to shred or use sachets.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ok I'll try that tomorrow. I got chicken out for DH and I but I'll chop up fingers for DD to suck on