+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default **spinoff** Contraception effectiveness and your kid

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    My nephew was an incorrectly taken mini pill baby.

Both my babies were planned, i have not used a chemical contraceptive since ds.was 12 months old and havent used a barrier since.he was 15 months old,
    He is 27 months old.

I use natural family planing & pull out method, not a single accident so far.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    I used withdrawal method for 8.5 years and no accidentals until December last year! Never again haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    You'd obviously ensure your son uses a condom each time? How would you go about that in the heat of the moment?

Would you take him to the doctors and put him on the male contraceptive pill?
    I would encourage my son to use a condom each time. As for the heat of the moment well that comes back to doing your best to raise kids and hoping thats enough for them
    To make the right decision at times like that.

If the male pill was approved I would have him chat to a doctor about that option too. Not meaning to diss on young girls but I wouldn't trust anyone else with contraception affecting me, and I would encourage my son to not rely on anyone else either (unless in a stable long term relationship where he could support a bub if something failed).

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i fell pregnant on the pill and using condoms combined
    we are very open about sex and our bodies etc and i trust that my kids will be able to discuss these issues with us, when the time comes

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: **spinoff** Contraception effectiveness and your kid

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly8329 View Post
    I used withdrawal method for 8.5 years and no accidentals until December last year! Never again haha
    I dont just use withdrawal, i track my cycles and unless ttc do not have sex during my fertile period.

I use that combined.with withdrawal every single time.

Dp is very good at it.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Agreed with VicPark 'laying the groundwork' is crucial. You can throw as many contraceptives at them
    as you like but there is never any guarantee that they'll necessarily use them or use them perfectly. In the end it boils down to their own ability to be responsible for their own actions and their own willingness to avoid any potential risks.

Personally as a teenager the fear of my father's reaction to me being pregnant was enough to warrant me doing absolutely everything in my power (other than abstinence...) to avoid it from happening.

Thanks
    Reviews

I fell pregnant when correctly using a condom (it broke) and taking the morning after pill within 24 hours. But DH and I used withdrawal method for years without an accident.

I plan to educate my daughter about sexual health and choices well before she's old enough to be wanting to do it, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yup, this. I got pregnant using a condom which broke, I took the morning after pill and after 13 hours I vomited. I rang the doctor and he said there is no way it would fail as I didn't vomit until that much later. And there we go, a baby on the way.

There is no safe form except abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by meatpopsicle View Post
    I fell pregnant when correctly using a condom (it broke) and taking the morning after pill within 24 hours. But DH and I used withdrawal method for years without an accident.

I plan to educate my daughter about sexual health and choices well before she's old enough to be wanting to do it, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm 26 weeks pregnant and I was strictly on the pill when I fell... Not the first time either!

It seems, without a joke, the pill is what makes me fertile!!

DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My parents were both incredibly open with me from a young age about how babies were made. I was educated on sex and contraception prior to going through puberty. Both my parents made it clear that it was ok to talk to them about that stuff and I was comfortable doing so. They did everything possible to keep me informed on sexual health and safety. As a young teen I was kept close tabs on and my parents had no qualms about driving to a party an hour away from home late at night because I had refused to come home. Again, they both did everything in their power to keep me safe, well supervised and were open and honest about why. My dad even took me to an STD clinic when I contracted one at 16 to hold my hand and make sure I was given a long talking to by the doctor about safe sex. I was given a packet of condoms when we got home.

And yet, I still Lost my virginity at 14 to an older guy and went on to fall pregnant at the age of 17 due to not using contraception. I knew HOW to use it and I knew where to get it for free, if I had spoken to my parents about wanting to go on the pill, needing condoms, etc, they both would have taken me to a doctor or supplied me with it, no problems.

My point is, it had nothing to do with how educated I was or how committed my parents were to being responsible, open and approachable role models for their teenage daughter. it had to do with me being 17 and thinking I was invincible. No matter how hard a parent works to keep their child safe and healthy and informed, the plans can still change pretty quick.

Not to say that I won't be doing the same thing as both my daughters mature. Just saying that I won't be beating myself up, or them, if all my well laid plans fail.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DaughteroftheForest For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (02-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    What if your daughter enjoyed having sex, wanted to have sex but wasn't happy using hormonal methods?

What if your daughter thought it was none of your business, which it wouldn't be once she was 16?
    Id help her to find and effectively use alternative contraceptives such as barrier methods.

Id also hope that my DD and I would have an open, honest and mutually respectful relationship so even at 16 or older she would still feel she could trust me and talk to me about her contraceptive needs.