+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default **spinoff** Contraception effectiveness and your kid

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    For kids I think You can supervise them to some extent (eg not let 14 year olds go to late night parties). But for the most part the ground work has to be laid by then (self respect, communication with parents, responsibility etc). For the most part 14 years is too old to start .
    My DH tells me lots of stories of his high school years...he was having sex with girls at school in the toilets and beneath the stairs from age 13 (grade 8).

I had sex at 14 and it wasn't at a party.

I had communicated plenty with my parents though and so I was well aware of the risks of STD's and pregnancy.

Teenagers will always find a way to have sex, especially if they aren't allowed to attend parties etc. This is why education and open communication are paramount.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

What if your daughter enjoyed having sex, wanted to have sex but wasn't happy using hormonal methods?

What if your daughter thought it was none of your business, which it wouldn't be once she was 16?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Your 1% statistical minority is incorrect.

These are percentages of women experiencing pregnancy within the first year using the following contraceptions

Spermicides 85
    Withdrawal 4
    Fertility awareness 5
    Sponge 20
    Diaphragm 6
    Condom 2
    Pill .3
    Nuva ring .3
    Depo provera .3
    Iud .2
    Implanon .05
    Female sterilization .1

I've only posted the most common ones more at contraceptive technology.org/table

Personally no I don't (off the top of my head).
    Yeah I know I plucked the 1%. Thanks for the stats. It seems most of the chemical/medical contraception is pretty accurate if taken correctly.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ok i dont know 100 percent as well things change ideas change and what we think will work now may not work then.

But i think that at I will teach any sons and daughters i have the proper way to put on a condom ( on a educational plastic penis not there actual penis as that would be yuk) there will also be condoms in the bathroom vanity so if they are having sex and are not wanting to talk to me about it they have access to them, I of course do plan to have a relationship with my children that they can discuss these things with me how ever im not pig headed enough or nieve enough to think that that is a given.

When my Daughter starts her period ( hypertheticly as it may be differnt with my DDs condition ) i will take her to the dr to have a check up and I will then and there make it clear to the dr that if she goes to an appointment by her self for the pill the dr is to do the nesesary health check and most definately scrip the pill, I will also make it clear to my daughter that if she chooses to have sex at a young age i am aware that i cant change her mind and it is her body but i want her to know its not taboo its not cool and its not rebelious and I am open to chat about it any which way she likes. The way i see it is there going to do it, i would rather it be safe then not safe.

For a boy( again hyperthetical ) well the condom idea will be the same and if there is a male contraceptive pill available by then the same appt with the dr will be had.

I will also let them know if they want me to take them to the appts to get the pills i wil most defo do that for them.

As for using sport and stuff like i read in another thread to stop them having sex well i dont think that is going to work but they will be involved in activities that they want to be involved in anyway, sport, dance, youth group what ever it is they want to do.

Accident happen there is no fool proof way to stop our kids catching disease and getting pregnant in there teens but we can support them either way, and we can give them the info they need to be as protected as possible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: **spinoff** Contraception effectiveness and your kid

How vigilant do you have to be with natural planning? Calendars, temperature etc?
    I have a tracker on my phone and listen to my body,
    We always use the pull out method combined with nfp,
    I do not use temp ing etc.

We are now actively ttc so i can not say that it would work forever,

after my.baby is born.i will use condoms until either my cycle normalises or i want another child.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I edited that post to add the statistics are with perfect use.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    oh and for the record i have written pill but i mean all types of hormonal contraceptions, depo, implanon iud etc that will be discussed with the dr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With problems with taking the pill at the same time every day (pain in ****) what do you think is the best way to combat that with kids? Other contraception such as depo, mirena etc?
    Honestly I would never give any (hypothetical) daughter of mine the depo based on my own personal experiences. I'm actually hesitant to offer any kind of hormonal contraceptive because my body doesn't react well.
    If I went down that path I'd go with the pill + condoms. I was having sex quite young (from 15) My parents weren't naive though, they new what was going on and still allowed me my freedom, but also brought me up with self respect and made sure I knew the risks of teenage pregnancy and STD's. I made my own choice to go on the pill at 16, my parents had discussed it with me, but the decision was left to make myself, before then they made sure I carried condoms, they didn't buy them for me, as I was already working I brought them myself, but they would offer to buy if I needed them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

You'd obviously ensure your son uses a condom each time? How would you go about that in the heat of the moment?

Would you take him to the doctors and put him on the male contraceptive pill?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    What if your daughter enjoyed having sex, wanted to have sex but wasn't happy using hormonal methods?

What if your daughter thought it was none of your business, which it wouldn't be once she was 16?
    I get what you're saying but I don't believe a parents Responsibility stops when a child is 16. All the studies prove that a persons brain isn't fully mature until they are in their 20's so some degree of guidance would be prudent.

If they didn't want hormonal interference then I would expect them to have enough information to hold an adult conversation explaining their position. If they didn't then I would encourage them to see a doctor.

If my kid didn't want to talk to me I would give them $80 and the name of a good doctor. If they are mature enough to have sex, they should be able to talk to a doctor.

As I mentioned before 14 is too late. You've got to lay the groundwork (open communication, responsibility etc) long before then .. And hope its enough to get them through life.