+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default **spinoff** Contraception effectiveness and your kid

This is a spinoff from the abortion pill thread.

Have you or anyone you know ever Fallen pregnant while on contraception? Were you/they in the 1% statistical minority where the contraception genuinely failed?
    Or was there some form of human error involved?
    - I have one friend that got pregnant when young while on the pill. There was human error involved: she didn't use any other form of contraception while taking antibiotics. Another friend fell pregnant while on the mini pill: she just wasn't strict enough with taking it within a 3 hour window each night. (not saying that makes them bad people just that they shouldn't claim they were without blame, which they didn't).

Considering the human error factor, What contraception/advice will you offer your 14-17 year old to decrease the likelihood of an unplanned pregnancy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I fell pregnant using the pill. I didn't take them at the same time everyday so in part my fault. I also didn't know you had to take them at the same time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I fell pregnant on the pill at 18, I was pretty vigilant with taking it too, but you know when your 18 your life is "so busy" and you can forget. I missed one day, fell pregnant.

I don't have any daughters so I guess all I can do is offer condoms and common sense, Dont sleep with random multiple girls and even if the girl says she is on the pill, still use a condom. Some women lie about being on the pill to trap a man into a pregnancy, I hope my boys aren't dumb enough to fall for this. But when it comes down to it, I can't control my kids sex lives, only offer advice and an open relationship.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

For kids I think You can supervise them to some extent (eg not let 14 year olds go to late night parties). But for the most part the ground work has to be laid by then (self respect, communication with parents, responsibility etc). For the most part 14 years is too old to start .

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: **spinoff** Contraception effectiveness and your kid

My nephew was an incorrectly taken mini pill baby.

Both my babies were planned, i have not used a chemical contraceptive since ds.was 12 months old and havent used a barrier since.he was 15 months old,
    He is 27 months old.

I use natural family planing & pull out method, not a single accident so far.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I do know a few people who have fallen pregnant while using contraception - one had the implanon, another used a condom which broke and another was double dutching.

There is no contraceptive which is 100%, so sex education is imperative. I think a lot of parents like to pretend that it's not happening (or at least a lot of my friends parents were like this), but this is a huge issue. Teenagers are going to have sex. The more educated they are about the risks, the better.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm not aware of anyone I know who's fallen pregnant whilst properly using contraception (but that's not to say they haven't - just no one has ever explicitly told me that was the case with them!)

In terms of the contraception advice I'd be offering a teenager - don't rely on just one method. No method is completely fail proof. For example, even if you're on the pill use a condom as well (to protect from STDs and to further reduce the risk of an unwanted pregnancy). That's what I did when I was a teenager (on my Mother's advice) and I'd certainly be encouraging any child of mine to do the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

With problems with taking the pill at the same time every day (pain in ****) what do you think is the best way to combat that with kids? Other contraception such as depo, mirena etc?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Your 1% statistical minority is incorrect.

These are percentages of women experiencing pregnancy within the first year using the following contraceptions

Spermicides 85
    Withdrawal 4
    Fertility awareness 5
    Sponge 20
    Diaphragm 6
    Condom 2
    Pill .3
    Nuva ring .3
    Depo provera .3
    Iud .2
    Implanon .05
    Female sterilization .1

I've only posted the most common ones more at contraceptive technology.org/table

Personally no I don't (off the top of my head).

Eta these statistics are with perfect use.
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 02-09-2012 at 11:38.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (02-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    My nephew was an incorrectly taken mini pill baby.

Both my babies were planned, i have not used a chemical contraceptive since ds.was 12 months old and havent used a barrier since.he was 15 months old,
    He is 27 months old.

I use natural family planing & pull out method, not a single accident so far.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    How vigilant do you have to be with natural planning? Calendars, temperature etc?