User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When to turn Car Seat around?

hey
    Just wondering when is the right time to turn car seat to facing front? I have been told aboout 6 months or when they can support their head well but then i also have been told to keep it in rear facing position for as long as possible as it is the safest position for them. My daughter is a prem and is very little she has good head control. She is 7 months ( 4 and a half corrected).
    Is it too soon to turn it around and if not is it still as safe this facing front?
    Me 25
    DP 31
    Bethany DD 28/03/06
    Lachlan DS 9/06/08

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is just about ready to turn & I'm going off the weight recommendation of FROM 8kg, he is quite long too though.

If your DD is quite small I don't think it would hurt for her to stay reverse facing if your more comfortable with that.

She is a stunner by the way!
    Ang xo
    Doing the married thing with 3 babies
    Batfink, Cupid & Albie

Thanks
    Reviews
    head control has nothing to do with it. go off weight. check your car seat instruction book as most newer models can stay rear facing if ur bubba is 12 kilos. its safer to be rear facing. their necks are still weak the bones are not fully strong so if you did have an accident the could get whip lash etc. I hate seeing bubs with their heads hanging down cos they fall asleep etc or are not meant to be forward facing yet.

personally I would keep her rear facing til she weighs 9 or 12 kilos whatever your car seat can take.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi - DS still fit the SnS capsule at 9 months rear facing. In my mums car though, he outgrew rear facing at 6.5 months (length wise).

He's only 7.6kg though.
    BMid student - year 2
    + monkey (4) and princess poo (1)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I turned DD around when she was 3.5 months old

A Party of Five is offline Winner 2008 � Most Boring Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You can turn them around at 9kg. But I would check with the manual that came with your car seat first. Or if you dont have it any more do a goggle serarch!
    "Destiny is not a matter of chance, but of choice;
    it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

Thanks
    Reviews
    I turned both my kids rear facing car seats around at about 3 months as they both screamed whenever we went anywhere because they couldn't see where they were going. Weird I know but once I turned them around....bliss. Neither had capsules for long as they both wanted to be more upright and screamed if I put them in one. Not normal my children....
    Me, 30, Him 30
    DD 5 DS 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    personally I would keep her rear facing for as long as possable, there are alot of factors you should concider before changing to forward facing, make sure she is at least the minimum weight for forward facing, and height wise as well, you've got to keep in mind that when they are forward facing, if your in accident or even stop suddenly you can damage their poor neck muscles, as they arn't as strong as ours, when they are rear facing there is less damage to their neck muscles

I kept my ds2 rear facing till he was 9mth of age i think it was, could've been 10, it was when ever he got over 9kgs in weight, that was the most weight my carseat would take rear facing before having to turn it around, for my next bubs i'm going to get a car seat that takes more weight rear facing, so my bubs can be in it longer

Forum Moderator

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babies should be kept rear facing as long as possible. the recomendation is on the carseat. 12months is usually about the right time! my son was went forward facing at 7months but not by choice, the carseat just would not fit in the car!! he went straight from capsual to F Facing
    DS1 - Brayden Robert - 25th October 2005
    DS2 - Harlan Daniel - 2nd May 2008
    and introducing Kaizen Marshall - 29th May 2010

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ariene is 5.5 months, 8 kilos and happy to be rear facing. So I'll keep doing it until she no longer squishes in the seat that way, I guess for another month or two.

Ronan, on the other hand... His silent reflux and flat-out "I wanna see EVERYTHING when we drive" scream led me to turn him around at 4.5 months. The change in him was amazing and we could actually resume travelling in the car again! I must point out though, that he was crawling a month after this and was a very big boy- his head never flopped forward when he went to sleep in his seat.
    Em Mason
    Ronan: June 04
    Ariene: May 06