+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    After my experience I'm looking to update my CPR/first aid. I wouldn't leave my DD supervised by someone around a pool unless they knew CPR/first aid TBH. I know it might be pushing it for the OP to ask her in-laws to do a course but watching a little boy be resuscitated was just so upsetting, I can't begin to imagine what would have happened if there wasn't anyone around who was able to bring him back...

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: What would you do? Unfenced pool

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    A pool fence is only as safe as the people who use them.
    This is true but the first step needs to be installing the pool fence, or in this case an additional gate other than the back door, and being aware of anything that can compromise the integrity of the fence.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    This makes me so angry. My in-laws are having a pool party in their newly built home around an unfenced pool. I can not tell you how much this p****s me off.
    My husband and I have a 19 month old toddler who simply can not be at the party for this very reason. Stupid mother in law said to me when I explained the situation that my daughter would want to dip her toes in the pool all night. I said "more than dip her toes, she will simply fall straight in and drown". I couldn't let go of her hand for one second for the entire duration of the party and she would be screaming the place down wanting to get to the pool. Some people are stupid and I feel as grandparents who like to entertain around their pool they have completely let down my husband and I and disregarded the safety of their grandchild.

I should add they have fenced a very small deck area which leads to the pool, but not the pool itself. It is a very small area, only enough room for 4 adults to stand. What it means is that my husband or I would be restricted to a small fenced deck away from the pool area where the parties actually take place.

Not fair and selfish in my opinion. I believe it was a money-saving motivation to do this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Amelia2014 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (03-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia2014 View Post
    This makes me so angry. My in-laws are having a pool party in their newly built home around an unfenced pool. I can not tell you how much this p****s me off.
    My husband and I have a 19 month old toddler who simply can not be at the party for this very reason. Stupid mother in law said to me when I explained the situation that my daughter would want to dip her toes in the pool all night. I said "more than dip her toes, she will simply fall straight in and drown". I couldn't let go of her hand for one second for the entire duration of the party and she would be screaming the place down wanting to get to the pool. Some people are stupid and I feel as grandparents who like to entertain around their pool they have completely let down my husband and I and disregarded the safety of their grandchild.

I should add they have fenced a very small deck area which leads to the pool, but not the pool itself. It is a very small area, only enough room for 4 adults to stand. What it means is that my husband or I would be restricted to a small fenced deck away from the pool area where the parties actually take place.

Not fair and selfish in my opinion. I believe it was a money-saving motivation to do this.
    I wouldn't go at all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Amelia2014  (04-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Amelia2014 - I remember this post! Created more of a discussion than I originally expected. The issue for us was that my inlaw's unfenced pool was 5 strides from the back door. Even the dog knew how to open the back door. In other words, I completely understand!

In the end, they did not get the fence done by the time my son was born, and when he started to crawl they said it would be done before he started to walk. At that point I put my foot down and said I wasn't going to their house anymore and neither was my son as it wasn't safe. Fence was up two weeks later.

I think for my MIL it was a bit of a power play and I'm just disgusted that she'd use a safety issue as a power play. I'll give in on many things, but not that.

No way I'd be going to that party if I were you!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

Amelia2014  (04-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Such a huge issue, of course you can't and shouldn't ignore it.

I personally would stop bringing it up, maybe mention it is illegal to not have it fenced, and stop visiting once bub is mobile. Your baby your rules. They can still come visit visit and take bub to the park.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ILs have a similar-sounding set up. You can access the pool from a sliding door off the dining room. They just ensure that the sliding door is key locked (and keys put away) whenever the grand kids are over. All parents also supervise our kids while we're there. I don't see it as a big problem TBH. I might think differently if my kids were spending time there without DH or I, but MIL isn't big on babysitting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the problem arises when the in-laws choose to have a pool party around an unfenced pool when they they expect my husband and I to bring their 19 month old granddaughter with us. When the party is being hosted around an unfenced pool which has a bbq and outdoor dining tables and chairs in the same unfenced area around the pool it is a different ball game.

My issue that we are expected to bring our toddler to such an event which means that either my husband and I would be restricted to minding our daughter in a secure area away from the unfenced pool. The effect being that we are not able to enjoy the party anyway.

After the safety issue was politely advised to the mother-in-law, she made the suggestion that we pay for a babysitter to mind our daughter at the next-door-neighbour's house whom I have never met in my life. Needless to say that would never happen.

I agree that if there is a locked sliding door, safety latch or any other legally approved fence that may not be around the actual pool that it may not always be a problem. However any parent should recognise the problem of being invited by the in-laws (who should know better as grandparents) to a pool party around an unfenced pool when they expect our toddler to be present.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I would report them to the city council to be honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why is there no fence? My i laws just got their pool replaced and the fence laws are super strict.