+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What would you do? Unfenced pool

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Of course they are, especially at those ages. But a newborn? I think that's a different kettle of fish.
    Yeah I wouldn't be requesting it for a newborn no but in saying that I just think they should all be fenced properly. My aunts old dogs both drowned in her pool 18 months after the other plus their rabbit :-( it's not just children but also animal safety as well.
    They still haven't put a fence up! They are thick !!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What would you do? Unfenced pool

Quote Originally Posted by Barefooted&Pregnant View Post
    Having seen 3 kids aged 2,4 &6 band together to open a pool fence thinking having one there is just false security. My parents went shopping for one with 2 kids 3&4 the kids week going over or through everything. We have had a cover on a pool in the off season ever since. As kids we rode bikes on the cover, and may have fallen through one or twice but not right through. if you want safety get a cover. Not a fence. The us use covers instead of fences.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    That's why I would never in my life own a pool!!! Kids are so sneaky!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kelly 8329 I'm pretty much with you on this. I just don't think a pool is worth it. Too many things can go wrong! And as for having them unfenced, I just don't get how people can think it's worth the risk.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: What would you do? Unfenced pool

My parents made the decision. My siblings, myself, 7 nieces and nephew have all been in the house and yard and never ever drowned. Also numerous neighbour kids and cousins. First rule is no one was to go in backyard alone. This was helped by a lock that a normal child cannot reach. Common sense is more trustworthy then a fence. Perhaps the in-laws think that you are insulting theirs?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarefootedMumma For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (02-09-2012),babyla  (02-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

My concern is that they originally agreed to have it done by the date you requested and now they say "crawling". And you're right to not understand the various stages of mobility because some bubs even skip the crawling stage. And my bub isn't "crawling" now but can definitely wriggle around the place! What's stopping them changing the date again? "Let's wait until bubbling is walking/running...". Or "we'll do it for #2 because we can easily watch one..."

Kudos for agreeing to pay for it too! I agree with others, though, their son can have the conversations now and I wouldn't be going anywhere near them once bubbling is mobile in any way.
    Last edited by Cat21; 02-09-2012 at 21:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A little boy nearly drowned at the pool at DD's swimming lesson last week. Right in front of everyone. Luckily there were lifeguards nearby who resuscitated him. It was without a doubt the most awful thing I have ever seen in my life. I was shaking for a long time afterwards, I didn't stop thinking about it for days. And it wasn't even my child.

OP, I wouldn't be going around there until it is fenced. Just the thought makes my blood run cold.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

LillyPonds  (03-09-2012),twotrunks  (02-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I doubt the fence will change anything with the way you describe the set up of the pool in relation to the house. And if the fence goes in are u not going to watch the baby as closely? No....that won't change as a pool is scary fenced or not. Their house their choice.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using Tapatalk 2

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Aka For This Useful Post:

BarefootedMumma  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat21 View Post
    My concern is that they originally agreed to have it done by the date you requested and now they say "crawling". And you're right to not understand the various stages of mobility because some bubs even skip the crawling stage. And my bub isn't "crawling" now but can definitely wriggle around the place! What's stopping them changing the date again? "Let's wait until bubbling is walking/running...". Or "we'll do it for #2 because we can easily watch one..."
    Thanks Cat21, this is part of what I'm worried about as well. I was really just trying to avoid this becoming an ongoing issue. DH, thankfully, is happy to deal with it. I'm just really hoping that there won't come a time when I have to refuse to go there with the baby. They will see this as blackmail.

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    A little boy nearly drowned at the pool at DD's swimming lesson last week. Right in front of everyone. Luckily there were lifeguards nearby who resuscitated him. It was without a doubt the most awful thing I have ever seen in my life. I was shaking for a long time afterwards, I didn't stop thinking about it for days. And it wasn't even my child.

OP, I wouldn't be going around there until it is fenced. Just the thought makes my blood run cold.
    I'm completely with you on this one. Having dealt with drownings at work, and having done surf living, I can confirm that from what I see most drownings happen with perfectly normal, attentive parents, who dared to lose focus for a couple of minutes. They turn around and the child is gone. An increasingly frantic search follows, then the child is found in the pool/pond. It's horrific beyond belief. I remember one day when I was little and we had a bbq at my parent's house. The kids were all in the pool. Suddenly my mother noticed that my 2 year old brother had managed to get out of his floaties and was lying face down in the pool, struggling and trying to lift his own head out of the water by his hair. The pool was full of people, this happened in a corner, and no one even noticed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

Cat21  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In the interest of avoiding WW3, I would leave it for now. I reckon when bub's born they'll be so smitten they'll get the fence put up quick smart to keep their grandbaby safe. Once my baby was starting to move about I wouldn't be taking them over there until it was done. Good luck! I'm sure they'll do it when they start to realise the extreme importance of the situation!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a bit confused as to why people are saying a pool fence won't make it anymore safe... what the?? My inlaws have a big pool with a fantastic pool fence, and my 2.5 year old boy and 13 month old girl can't get anywhere near the pool. If it wasn't fenced, both of them would just jump straight in clothes and all. Of course the fence will make it more safe... what an odd thing to say.