+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would Just not go there till they do someting maybe look in to fencing yourself and get prices and give it to them hope they do something soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What would you do? Unfenced pool

So people wouldn't go around with a completely immobile newborn, in a capsule, and sit inside?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    So people wouldn't go around with a completely immobile newborn, in a capsule, and sit inside?
    I would.

It would become an issue of safety for me only if the pool fence is still not erected by the promised timeframe - crawling. I would not be making a big deal about it just yet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (02-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My mum and dad have a pool which is one of the un fenced with the house and perimeter being pool safe.
    Eg safety doors, safety windows fences not climbable etc
    I have 3 kids 6,4 and 2 now but last September we were invited over for afl grandfinal lunch , I said straight up NO!! They asked why and my reply was until you get a pool fence I won't be coming over with the kids again , they replied that there are lots of eyes to watch them to which I said there will never be enough eyes!
    They fenced the pool 3 days later.
    I think un fenced swimming pools are super irresponsible

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

LillyPonds  (03-09-2012),twotrunks  (02-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly8329 View Post
    My mum and dad have a pool which is one of the un fenced with the house and perimeter being pool safe.
    Eg safety doors, safety windows fences not climbable etc
    I have 3 kids 6,4 and 2 now but last September we were invited over for afl grandfinal lunch , I said straight up NO!! They asked why and my reply was until you get a pool fence I won't be coming over with the kids again , they replied that there are lots of eyes to watch them to which I said there will never be enough eyes!
    They fenced the pool 3 days later.
    I think un fenced swimming pools are super irresponsible
    Of course they are, especially at those ages. But a newborn? I think that's a different kettle of fish.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What would you do? Unfenced pool

Having seen 3 kids aged 2,4 &6 band together to open a pool fence thinking having one there is just false security. My parents went shopping for one with 2 kids 3&4 the kids week going over or through everything. We have had a cover on a pool in the off season ever since. As kids we rode bikes on the cover, and may have fallen through one or twice but not right through. if you want safety get a cover. Not a fence. The us use covers instead of fences.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is exactly what I would do. The pool for a newborn is not a hazard like it is for mobile children. I agree with you, it's a bit rich really.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (02-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

We had the same issue at dps parents house. It was almost impossible to fence to the councils standard so they had it filled in.

What ever your in laws do before they will be able to sell the house in the future they will have to have it fenced, they won't have any choice. This is why dps parents were happy to do this as in the near future they will be moving.

However, we were living with them at the time. The pool has been there for their 4 other grandchildren and had we of not been living there I'm sure the pool would still be there. Is there some reason you all can't just stay inside when visiting? This is what happened when the other grandchildren visited and only went outside when all the adults went out. I would see it as more of a danger when they are toddlers anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I would until baby could roll etc.

It would also largely depend on the layout of the house, lounge etc etc

There'd be no chance of leaving baby with them to baby sit once at all mobile. Realistically I'd probably not be that stressed if the yard door could be locked and kept shut (locked to remind adults. Not that babies open doors )

As long as it's up before baby was crawling I wouldn't worry. And all I'd have to do once I felt it was unsafe was stop going and they could visit us.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 02-09-2012 at 13:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the birth date request was simply that I was looking for a date that wasn't arbitrary. I just don't want to get into some argument with them about whether the baby is 'mobile enough' to require a pool fence. Of course I understand newborns can't get themselves into a pool. I also figured that if they need to do it anyway (remembering that they had a pool fence when their kids were growing up that they then took down) they could have just done it, particularly since it's been right through Autumn/Winter since we asked them and pool fences may be cheaper then than Dec/Jan/Feb/March. We've offered to arrange and pay for the whole thing but they said no, they'd organise and pay for it.

As for the door, this is not a family that is surrounded by kids so people are not that aware. The parents may keep the back door locked, but bbqs are frequent with various people, and when the door isn't locked, even the dog can open it. We were there today and when I say 5 footsteps from door to pool, it's really more like 3, entirely flat, and by step 3 you're in the pool.

Realistically, we're not going there once the baby is mobile if there's no fence. I just have no idea about the stages of mobility with a child, and how old they are when they could get themselves 3 steps into a pool. I'm trying to avoid having to refuse to go there and upsetting everyone and that was why we requested that it be done by a non-arbitrary event.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (02-09-2012)