+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: What would you do? Unfenced pool

Are you sure it's legal? I thought that they had to be fully fenced, i do know the police visited a friend of mine and warned her cos she had one of those deeper blow up / set up pools in her back yard (which is fully fenced in the backyard )

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think you sound paranoid. I don't think you can make them fence the pool, but 'watching them closely' just isn't enough. Like you said, it's so easy for someone to forget to lock the door. Good luck with WW3 if it comes to that!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks OJandMe! Didn't think of that. I'll look into it, although it's a big sliding door so I'm not sure if it would work.

I'm not an expert but I think the current situation is legal because the back wall of the house acts as a part of a fence, and the door handle is the right height.

I should probably also clarify that by 'steps' I mean footsteps, not stairs. It's flat from the back door, and the fifth stride for an average adult would put you in the pool. We've offered to pay for the fence as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (02-09-2012)

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sally1981 you can get gate extensions to fit all sizes and shapes... just google images for 'irregular areas baby gates' or 'wide door baby gates' .. there's heaps of options. Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What would you do? Unfenced pool

Doesnt sound legal if there is the fence does not fully connect with the house (which if it did then it would be fully fenced? )

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    Thanks OJandMe! Didn't think of that. I'll look into it, although it's a big sliding door so I'm not sure if it would work.

I'm not an expert but I think the current situation is legal because the back wall of the house acts as a part of a fence, and the door handle is the right height.

I should probably also clarify that by 'steps' I mean footsteps, not stairs. It's flat from the back door, and the fifth stride for an average adult would put you in the pool. We've offered to pay for the fence as well.
    I had a Lindam baby gate/play pen that I got at target, the brackets screw into the wall (rather than just being pressure mounted) and we had it across an opening that was almost 3 mtrs wide, and there were 2 panels that we left out. Food for thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    Doesnt sound legal if there is the fence does not fully connect with the house (which if it did then it would be fully fenced? )

I think what the OP described is what our pool was-blocked from the street by the house and side fences, but no fence separating the house from the pool. I remember it being legal like that because it was in line with the pool fencing laws when it was built, but when we rented it out mum and dad had to bring it up to date with current laws.

I think its pools built after a certain date must have separate fencing, but older ones must only comply with the laws in place at the time they were built, UNLESS they are sold or leased out, in which case they must be bought up to date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I think what the OP described is what our pool was-blocked from the street by the house and side fences, but no fence separating the house from the pool. I remember it being legal like that because it was in line with the pool fencing laws when it was built, but when we rented it out mum and dad had to bring it up to date with current laws.
    This is right, although the stupid thing is they had a fence around the pool when their own kids were growing up and then took it down.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What would you do? Unfenced pool

I think demanding its done by the time the child is born is a bit rich. If they said they will do it by the time he is crawling, I would be ok with that. You can always just stay inside with the door locked when you visit. I wouldn't take kindly to someone demanding I do work on my house by a certain date. You need to remember these people have had children, so they know they don't come out running, they have a while until the child is mobile.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What would you do? Unfenced pool

I think it needs to be done, ASAP the safety gate only works while the child is little, what about when you have a toddler?