+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What would you do? Unfenced pool

Maybe they feel like you are demanding rather than asking? Can you help pay since its for your benefit? Or else don't go there, invite them to your place instead til the fence is up.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I don't think it is fair to demand they have a fence. It is their home. I am sure they are smart enough to keep any door to the pool area locked as it is legally required anyway. They are probably offended that you don't trust them to watch your child.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to One of THOSE mums! For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you can demand they do it. I thinkbyou need to express your concerns but tell them you understand it is their house and if they don't wantbto fence their pool that is their decision, but you won't be going outside with the baby once it is mobile (because teally, if you watch your baby and lock the door with a key and move the key your baby isn't in dangar inside) and tell them that they'll have to nabysit at your house. It's theor house, you can't insist they do anything but you can decide what is comfortable for you and your family with regards to safety.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (01-09-2012)

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by One of THOSE mums! View Post
    I don't think it is fair to demand they have a fence. It is their home. I am sure they are smart enough to keep any door to the pool area locked as it is legally required anyway. They are probably offended that you don't trust them to watch your child.
    pretty sure that the majority of children who have drowned .. were being watched by someone drowning is silent .. no noise .. you rarely hear the child hit the water ..

OP- I'm lucky - most of the issues I"ve had with the inlaws have been sorted .. but I would definitely be putting my foot down on this topic. Fences aren't foolproof .. but they are an extra barrier of safety - and I (being the mummabear/ helicopter parent that I am) would not allow my child to go there even WITH me .. pools are sooooo tempting for children

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (03-12-2014),LillyPonds  (03-09-2012),Sally1981  (01-09-2012),twotrunks  (02-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I wouldn't be going there to be honest. I think your asking too much of them? Ask them to visit you instead. If its illegal in your state dob them in.

Fence or no fence I would be watching my baby like an investigator. We have a pool and I get worried when just adults come over after a few wines

10. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Similar to what a few others have said, I'd keep a very close eye on the baby when you're over there. But I wouldn't be taking him/her there for them to babysit unless there was a fence up.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to quietlyhopeful For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: What would you do? Unfenced pool

Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    I would mention it again before bubs is born...but stop going there once bubs is mobile if they don't do it
    Exactly this.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for all the responses. I should probably confirm that I understand it's their house, and if they really don't want one that's fine. However, my child, once mobile, is not going anywhere near that house unless there's a pool fence. I'm trying to avoid WW3 that will erupt if I refuse to take him over there.

The pool is within regs because the backyard is fully fenced from the front. However, it's literally 5 steps from the back door. All it would take is for one of them to go outside for a smoke, sunbake, or anything, and forget to shut or lock the door. Also, the dog can open it when it's unlocked.

To those who talk about 'crawling', this is my first baby. How does the crawling start? At what stage can you say they have officially started crawling, or otherwise become mobile?

I know I probably sound paranoid, but I work in a job where I have actually had to attend inquests for drowned children. I know for a fact that this can happen to anyone and I've had to listen, in detail, to these situations.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

LillyPonds  (03-09-2012),twotrunks  (02-09-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Rolling can start quiet early but enough moving/crawling to get down steps a min 6 months.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (01-09-2012)

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you can't avoid WW3.... then face WW3....

The safety of your child is NOT WORTH 'keeping the peace'.

If they won't create a space so that the pool is inaccessible even with the door open, I would in no way be taking my child there.

An option, if it is within regulations, would be to get a play pen/extendable baby gate, that they could use to create a 'safe zone' outside the door.. so that there is a fenced area where the door is, that the baby can't get through, but they can remove when you aren't there.

Like a gate/playpen system for irregular shaped/wide areas.

Would be much cheaper than a pool fence, and would be absolutely adequate

http://www.safe-tots.com/safety_gates.htm

And something you and your DH could buy for them
    Last edited by OJandMe; 01-09-2012 at 21:12.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (03-12-2014),LillyPonds  (03-09-2012),Sally1981  (01-09-2012)