+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia2014 View Post
    I agree that if there is a locked sliding door, safety latch or any other legally approved fence that may not be around the actual pool that it may not always be a problem. However any parent should recognise the problem of being invited by the in-laws (who should know better as grandparents) to a pool party around an unfenced pool when they expect our toddler to be present.
    This is what my in laws had. I still put my foot down. Would you really trust people at a party to shut and lock the back door? Even a small family get together will have people walking out without thinking, and then if they want to eat outside they want to leave the door open so they can carry things in and out. If they shut the door but don't lock it and you don't realise, a dog or a toddler could open it. Even simple things like taking the rubbish out without telling anyone becomes a possible issue.

Unfortunately part of my work experience includes dealing with drownings. It's silent, it's fast and no matter how easy you think it is to 'just watch them closely', no one can be 100% on the ball, 100% of the time and an unfenced pool is inviting trouble.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Why is there no fence? My i laws just got their pool replaced and the fence laws are super strict.
    In NSW pools built prior to 1987 are not required to fenced but by April next year they legally will have to be compliant with the safety standards ( locked doors and windows) and then hopefully in the next few years they will make pool fences mandatory for all pools regardless of age - every second house in our area has a pool and probably half of those don't have fences!

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    The Kitchen
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As part of the new standards in most areas (major cities at least) the fence is needed. I much prefer the American system of a hozontal roller door for safety.