+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Abortion pill RU486 approved by TGA

I Think it's good to finally have this option available for woman.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Its a difficult topic and one I've struggled to come to a decision on. That being said I'm against abortion in all cases except for severe medical issues (eg mothers life at risk).

I would not criticise a rape victim for chosing this route though as they are in the middle of an impossibly horrid situation. I just can't describe this abortion pill 'development' as a happy one.
    Your the one who described it as a happy one?

It would be interesting to know how much this option costs and if it's available on the PBS? My abortion cost us $400 after Medicare which is quiet expensive IMO.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Its a difficult topic and one I've struggled to come to a decision on. That being said I'm against abortion in all cases except for severe medical issues (eg mothers life at risk).

I would not criticise a rape victim for chosing this route though as they are in the middle of an impossibly horrid situation. I just can't describe this abortion pill 'development' as a happy one.
    I think you might be interpretting "happy" as though we are all dancing around a maypole and throwing confetti around thinking yah! This is so easy! No need for pesky contraception anymore, I can just take a pill! I think only a nutcase would think anything like that. I'm (dare I say) happy that women now have a much less evasive and simple means of terminating an unwanted pregnancy. Having an unwanted pregnancy is for many the worst moments of their lives, having to go through an evasive medical procedure to have a termination would add to the trauma, having a more simple option would (I hope) make the matter a lot less traumatic for the woman.

No one is ever 'pro-abortion', no one (ok, bare a few eugenic nutcases maybe) but women need to have control over their reproduction and if for whatever reason any proactive measures have failed then we are only left with reactive measures.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-09-2012),headoverfeet  (01-09-2012),misskittyfantastico  (01-09-2012),missybubble  (01-09-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Abortion pill RU486 approved by TGA

Well let me rephrase. Of course women can choose to have an abortion. But I don't know how anyone can actually be 'happy' about such a development. Perhaps there are other words that better describe peoples feelings?
    So where did the feminists fit into your original argument?

**Nothing spells as goof as typo splats**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Despite my own personal opinions on the subject, I do support it's availability. I don't like abortion but I don't have to. If a woman has this drug, they would have aborted no matter what anyway. Why not make it that she doesn't have to have surgery???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Despite my own personal opinions on the subject, I do support it's availability. I don't like abortion but I don't have to. If a woman has this drug, they would have aborted no matter what anyway. Why not make it that she doesn't have to have surgery???
    Well put.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    and I don't think anyone is happy about abortion Vicpark, just that the drug has become more accessible for women that want/need it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (02-09-2012),missybubble  (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I really don't like the idea of it, I would want to know how much counseling beforehand they will recieve if they are told to just take a pill that will end a pregnancy, I'd hope that they inform the woman properly of the risks associated with this and have proper medical intervention when needed. It's totally a woman's choice and a less invasive procedure would be better, but I've heard some bad things about this option and the lack of support and access to counseling bothers me too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Yes v8, I agree there needs to be adequate medical advice. That is a must.

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Ok, fair enough.

I don't know that I ever could have an abortion myself but I support the right to choose, and I don't judge others for having them.

I don't think anyone ever makes this decision lightly and it must be incredibly difficult for those even considering it. I'm pretty sure doctors wouldn't just hand out this pill no questions asked.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missybubble For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (02-09-2012),delirium  (01-09-2012)