+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newborn screams before each poo - normal or not?

My nearly 3-week old DS screams his head off for about 5 minutes before he does a poo every time. He rarely screams otherwise throughout the day or night, and is instantly calm again after he fills his nappy.

Does this sound like normal newborn behaviour? He's obviously uncomfortable when he screams and can't be consoled until he passes the poo, then it's instantly all better.

Thanks
    Reviews

Is it possible he's constipated? Or is his poo normal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Our 11 week old DS also suffers from this. To some extent I believe it is normal but we are actually in the process of getting his poo tested just to check nothing is actually wrong. We also give him infant probiotics - just started so hoping it makes a difference.

He is FF so hoping this has not contributed to any issues - sure it had though as its harder for them to digest.

Are they uncomfortable at any other time? DS also suffers bad gas at night time so it's not just the crying when pooing issue which is why we are looking into it.

Good luck - its not nice when they are in pain!!

ETA: is the poo soft? Or could it be constipation?

Thanks
    Reviews

He's breast fed and the poo is very watery so not constipated, but perhaps more watery than it should be. It does seem to have less curds in it than it did initially. He is rarely unsettled apart from right before he poos.

So I take it that normally babies don't scream before a poo?

Thanks
    Reviews

My dd never has. She just grunts a lot =P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My dd2 did it for a few weeks as she learnt how to poo. Crying causes babies to bunch their legs up towards their stomachs and assists their muscles in pushing the poo out. It should sort out soon. Give bub a rub on his tummy in a clockwise pattern to assist the poo/wind out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

soccer mum  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Newborn screams before each poo - normal or not?

DS was a bit like that as a newborn, he would scream sometimes (but not all the time) when doing a poo. He is 12 weeks now and will only scream when he has bad wind.

I believe that things changed significantly once I cut out dairy and chocolate from my diet. I tried to reintroduce dairy one day and it was the worst night we had in weeks. I will wait until he is 4 months old to try again

Thanks
    Reviews

DS was like this. He had very runny/watery poo's even when on solids and was always so much happier once he had done a poo. Started him on lactose free formula when i stopped BF at 1 and noticed a huge improvement. He is now nearly 2 and on rice milk. I was going to get his poo tested but noticed such a big difference with the lactose free formula I didn't bother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfish30 View Post

I believe that things changed significantly once I cut out dairy and chocolate from my diet. I tried to reintroduce dairy one day and it was the worst night we had in weeks. I will wait until he is 4 months old to try again
    I had this same experience. When I had one dairy based food after cutting it, my newborn was awake all night and most of the next day. I'm still not back on dairy. Her poos were watery and she often pooed while feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's some good advice/advisors in here. It doesn't sound like constipation, and if normally this bub is a settled one, maybe the act of food passing through the bowel is just very uncomfy for him and he's reacting to that. Interesting post about the tucking up of legs during screaming which assists the movement. Some babies though, also stretch out during screaming (ours did), and will tuck up legs when belly is hurting. If it were me, I'd follow the belly massage and dietary advice and check in with nurse, doc in a fortnight-month if it doesnt improve. Do you have a good relationship with your midwife ~ could call her or health nurse if you are worried. Or the Breastfeeding Helpline, or Nurse-on-call Helpline if it doesn't warrant a trip to the doctor.

Hope it resolves itself soon, OP.
    Last edited by BaronessM; 01-09-2012 at 14:32. Reason: I can't spell!