+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Natural birth after 4th degree tear?

Good morning mamas,

I am new to this but desperately need answers! I am pregnant again with baby number 2, DD is 15 months old now. I had obsessed over a natural birth with her and achieved it. The whole labor was great, lasting only 7 hours from waters breaking to baby arriving but the pushing stage was very disappointing. At 10cm my contractions had died down which the midwife (who I had the whole pregnancy and liked) told me was due to being in the warm bath, so she got me out on a birthing stool (which was horrible, absolutely horrible) so I got off and went to the bed and got in the classic TV birthing position which is where I felt most comfortable. But I still couldn't feel my contractions. Even so, now there were two midwifes and they were shouting at me to push, pant, push, pant all with no feeling whatsoever (apart from general pain of course). I can't remember feeling a contraction, or the urge to push whatsoever. I said a few times "I can't" and they just shouted back "you have to". Now, the baby was doing very well, no worries at all and in hindsight and after some investigation I have found out that is perfectly normal for a woman to have a period in between 10cm and actual pushing. It's a natural way to regain energy. And with the baby doing well there was absolutely no need to rush me. I had never imagined that the pushing stage was so aggressive (from the midwives), I've watched videos of people gently easing their babies out and just thought that would be me but it wasn't. And if I had done it that way would I have torn as bad?

Anyway, the result was baby shot out, my husband said one second he saw the top of her head and the next she flew out. I had a nasty 4th degree tear that went into my anus (sorry TMI) and I had to go under a general anesthetic in surgery for 3 hours to be repaired. The recovery time was slow, and very painful. I couldn't walk for days, couldn't sit for weeks and then came the intense itching as the stitches did whatever they do. Sex? That didn't happen for about a year and I'm still scared to do it. Now, I didn't want a c-section and still don't but my friends who had them recovered in about a week compared to my 3 months (and on-going sex issues). I'm so scared of the same thing happening, I'm worried about looking after my tot and a newborn in that kind of state afterwards, so I wondered what other people's stories are? Anyone had the same experience? Any opinions welcome whatever they may be :-)

ps sorry this was such a long post, I've never vented like this before about my birth experience!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Natural birth after 4th degree tear?

I had a 4th degree tear with dd. In my case my perinium is all scar tissue so it wont stretch. I had a c section with ds and I'll be having another with this bub.

A c section recovery is a walk in the park compared to what happened with dd.

My advice would be to have a c section.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm sorry the midwives didn't let your body lead I personally have not had a tear and I do attribute this to no coached pushing and good positioning. I hope your next birth is a positive experience however you decide to do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    How is your scar tissue? Have you been assessed by a pelvic floor physio? It takes time and a lot of work to get your peri in good condition after trauma so I would suggest if you haven't hooked up with a physio now would be a good time.
    Sound like you know exactly why you tore last time and how to avoid it again. Have you considered a doula to support you during your next labour?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I had a 3rd degree tear with DS (epi so on my back, ventouse delivery) but it healed very well so not in the league you're talking about. I did, however, worry about teh same thing when I had DD but I was adamant that I was going to do everything possible to have a more natural birth and maximise my chances of not tearing. That meant I had to birth in which ever position I felt like at the time, have an active labour and not be induced (like I was with DS). I did manage all of that but I still ended up with a 2nd degree tear (she came out very quickly) but that was nothing compared to a 3rd degree tear.

I'm guessing the first thing I would do is get some opinions from professionals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for posting, I think although I'd love to try for a natural birth again I also don't think it's worth the risk. As Maybenumber3 said, and many of my friends who had sections said, the recovery is a walk in the park compared to a bad tear. I'm terrified of a section but keep having to remind myself it's very routine and things don't generally go wrong. Deep breaths and stay calm!
    I'll be talking to a professional as soon as one will see me! They're all fully booked until I'm about 20 wks pregnant, grrrr.

Many thanks to all for replying x x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Superpip,

Firstly I just want to say I am so sorry your birth experience wasn't everything you wanted it to be, it is so heartbreaking when you do everything in your power to let your body do what it's meant to do and have midwives hinder the experience.

I had a 4th degree tear with DD (11 Months) and would love a natural birth if we have any more but know that it's not what is best for us. I was told by my gyn that the chances of having future bowel problems with 1 4th degree tear is big but if I was to tear again I would probably have to have a colostomy bag for the rest of my life.

I hope that birth this time for you is a beautiful experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello there! I generally don't post on bubhub anymore after a nasty experience with bullying but I just found this after a google search and couldnt not respond.
    My DS's birth was almost identical to yours. Birth stool (stupid stupid), coached pushing, 4th degree tear and then surgery followed by a long recovery.
    Im meeting with my midwife in a few weeks to go over my hospital notes and hopefully get some kind of counselling on what to do next time. For me, I don't want a Cesar because I want lots of babies and have been told there is a limit on how many c-sections you can have.
    I have already vowed next time to prepare as much as I can. Read a mountain of books, use an Epi no, yoga, perineal massage, water birth, hypnobirth, get a midwife who won't scream puuuuuuush in my ear and put me on a birth stool when my labour isn't going fast enough.
    I really hope all goes well whatever you choose. For a long time I thought a c-section would be the only way I'd ever consider having another baby, but just keep researching and see what you can find xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a natural birth after a 3rd degree tear from posterior brow presentation,, I pushed 3 hours while his chin was stuck behind my pubic bone!! (should have been a cs) I didn't tear again with my second but baby was in right position and smaller head, but my muscles did get more damaged and now have a bowel prolapse. I had a csection with my 3rd because despite much effort he stayed persistently in posterior position!!! which is more likely to cause tearing. The medical guidelines recommend ecs after 4th degree tear, I suggest you see a few colorectal surgeons they were very understanding the recommendation from all was csection but not totally against vb If I really wanted it. If I had a vaginal birth it was in my birth plan to have most experienced midwife and a colorectal surgeon on standby. I only decided csection myself the last week and would have cancelled if bub turned. I would have a vb again if bub is in a good position only because I want a few more. But I'm at peace now about ihaving a csection, the recovery was easier, the delivery was calm and I have beautiful memories of that birth unlike my traumatic (natural) birth. I don't post often but feel for you and know how hard it is to find support or talk to someone who has been in your situation. I wish you a healthy pregnancy and birth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vatikin View Post
    Hi Superpip,

Firstly I just want to say I am so sorry your birth experience wasn't everything you wanted it to be, it is so heartbreaking when you do everything in your power to let your body do what it's meant to do and have midwives hinder the experience.

I had a 4th degree tear with DD (11 Months) and would love a natural birth if we have any more but know that it's not what is best for us. I was told by my gyn that the chances of having future bowel problems with 1 4th degree tear is big but if I was to tear again I would probably have to have a colostomy bag for the rest of my life.

I hope that birth this time for you is a beautiful experience.

Grr, there is no evidence that the above will happen if the mother had a straightforward recovery from the tears. Ihate how Drs use it as their scare tactic. When that didnt work on me they tried to say it was the actual passage of the baby down the canal that causes problems.

to all who've had a 4th deg tear.

If you search 4th degree tear on BubHub here you will find my story. I had a successful vaginal birth after a 4th degree tear, both my boys where well over 9pd.

Eta:Here is a thread of mine http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...th+degree+tear

And my birth story
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...s.-I-DID-IT!!!

And here is a post i wrote replying to another poster like you.

I sure did. I was told immediately after my first childs birth that id need a Csec. So i started doing my research, i looked at what went 'wrong' with my last birth, 1) i let them break my waters 2) i had the pethidine which made my legs not work 3) i was flat on my back 4) i was coached into pushing 5) i got an episiotomy.

So for my next birth i knew i had to do everything differently so i 1) stayed home as long as possible (i didnt want to be put on a timeline for my body to follow, if you go over their timeline they start interfering) 2) i declined drugs (except for gas) and told them not to ask again, i didnt want to be nagged or pressured into it. 3) i got ONE internal on arrival and told them no more 4) i declined all intervention, like having my waters broken, episiotomy 5) I was as upright as i could be comfortably. I birthed on my knees on the bed. When i was tired i laid on my left side (right is not good). 6) i breathed my baby out, i didnt actively push, when i got the urge i relaxed my body and took long slow breaths until the urge went, my DP was in my face breathnig with me so i wouldnt forget. Most importantly i had support people who knew my wishes, made my wishes know, and were willing to back me up if the nurses argued, i did not want to feel pressured at all. I had my plan and i had to stick to it, even if it got hard.

You have to stick by your plan, dont let the nurses bully you. Make sure its known ASAP. All the midwives knew me as the woman who was having a VB against the Drs orders. You will be bullied and scared into a csec, but you have to be strong if you truly want a VB. I had 2drs tell me id need a colostromy bag if i VBed, one dr who said its my choice and another who believed in me, and 6-7middies with differing opinions.

After my 1st son was born i was back to normal within 8wks. I had no problems because of my birth. If i did i would have reconsidered my choice.

DS2 is 4.5mths and everything is back to normal.
    (DS2 is now 16mths and i still have had no problems at all)

Good Luck xx
    Last edited by IndigoJ; 02-10-2012 at 21:40.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

fai firinne  (04-10-2012),JessyJ  (15-10-2012)