+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Flying with pets.

Has anyone relocated with pets or had to fly with their pets.

We "may" have to relocate for DH's work and we have 2 fur babies that I can not and will not leave behind.
    Does the flight harm them? Is it safe? And how long are they held in quarantine? I think the quarantine part worries me the most!!!

If any of these show any risks at all I might have to stay and have DH fly home each week. So torn but I can't just dump them they are such good dogs.

DH will be fly in fly out overseas so we thought moving would be easier.

Anyone?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LoCo For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It's ok I've done a bit of research it doesn't look good.

Anyway would still love to hear any experiences

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My brother moved to Canada, Japan and now china with his cattle dog. Now he's in china he can't return to aus with the dog due to quarantine issues. For Canada it wasn't too bad. I think for Japan or somewhere else I've forgotten he returned via the US to circumvent quarantine issues. I think it was just a big vet bill for checks on return to aus plus short quarantine period.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    My brother moved to Canada, Japan and now china with his cattle dog. Now he's in china he can't return to aus with the dog due to quarantine issues. For Canada it wasn't too bad. I think for Japan or somewhere else I've forgotten he returned via the US to circumvent quarantine issues. I think it was just a big vet bill for checks on return to aus plus short quarantine period.
    Oh gosh what a headache. Is the dog back here now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I did this with my 2 cats about 6 years ago from London to Australia. It was heartbreaking, hard, you feel awful, but I know my cats would get the best care from me, and like you I just couldn't leave them behind. I can only comment on my experience and I am not sure of the quarantine laws of where you are going but here goes.

I hired a company to arrange everything for me, we had to get specially built carrier, but depending on how long the flight is you would need to check the carrier regulations for your dogs. Ours had to have access to water and be large enough for the cats to stand up and turn around comfortably. Again I am not sure on the dog requirements.

The flight doesn't harm them as such, I guess it just scares the sh!t out of them. I mean your in a cage with this massive noise and you don't know what is going on, so it is only natural for them to be scared.

Actually as I am typing this we flew our puppy down from Armidale from a breeder and when DH picked her up from the airport in Sydney, she just trotted out like there was nothing wrong, she was up for the next adventure. The other pup from the litter was huddled at the back of its cage too scared to come out, so I guess it depends on each animal.

For both flights we where not allowed to use sedatives, nor where they offered. I would presume this is because they are not under supervision while in the carry hold (which is different to where the luggage is stored so the temperature is regulated.

For AUS laws they had to go into quarantine for 30 days, which was again heartbreaking but you need to think of the bigger picture, they will be with there mumma. So I was able to visit twice a week between certain hours, and stayed for a while. My circumstance was a little different as there was a flood and my cats wheren't in the normal cat runs, they where in the bee centre in a massive room so I was able to sit and play and cuddle them. When I first saw them after the flight (day after so they could settle a little) they were very hesitant to come and play but after 30mins or so, they where ok.

My female cat had a little stress reaction which caused her scar tissue to swell or so the vet said but nothing that didn't cause any problems. They did have a few scratches on their noses from trying to get out of the cage, but I think this was more to do with the fact that it was a thin wire cage, rather then the thicker metal dog carries you see.

You said that DH may be able to fly in and fly out? So I am thinking a not so long a flight? if your going to New Zealand they have in home quarantine, where you have to keep them indoors for 30 days.

I would recommend not having them on the same flight as you, I didn't as they flew 2 days after me, but I felt sick thinking of them flying but would have felt worse if I knew they where under me, I also think it would have stressed them out seeing me and then going to quarantine, so they get a look at me a sniff of me, then they are taken away again.

I hope this is making sense and helps somewhat

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nala9000 For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (04-09-2012)

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've imported four dogs so far, as pups ranging from 12 weeks to 6 months.

They've never come to any harm on the flight.
    The only issue I had was with Horse, who has cropped ears. Some idiot at the airport called the RSPCA and reported a dog having it's ears chopped off in the airport, but that was quickly taken care of, and was no relation to the flying experience.

Animals usually take the flight really well. Brogan was asleep when he left Ireland, and asleep when he arrived in Australia. None of mine have been distressed or hurt in transport.
    Incidents are very rare!

The quarantine period is hard to get through, but usually you can visit and bring toys and treats for them.

I'd recommend flying them. If you're worried about their stress, you can try some Troy's Calming Paste. It's a non-chemical stress relief, and doesn't need supervision. It can be mixed into the feed before the flight, and promotes calm behaviour.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Loco - no, he's been living in china for years and I think he'll stay there til the dog dies!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you nala and tough love
    Nala it's a 10 hour flight for DH eek I'm so torn. Anyway I guess I just have to wait and see if it happens first I just like to be prepared
    Quarantine is what would honestly kill me!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Loco - no, he's been living in china for years and I think he'll stay there til the dog dies!
    Thank g.d what a good man!!!!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LoCo For This Useful Post:

austmum  (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Lol Loco he loves that dog - when he moved to china he took his dog and left his girlfriend behind! He just took the dog on a road trip around China with the dog in the side car of his motorbike! (he is a tv presenter)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (04-09-2012)