+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Should I go see a doctor?

I know for some of you this may seem like a really dumb question but let me start off by saying that I'm not a person that goes to doctors very often. Not that I'm scared of them or anything but I feel there is no point going to the doc if you have a common cold or other illnesses that your body can usually battle on its own.

Back to the point. I have been sick since Monday which what I thought was just a cold but since Wednesday I have gotten progressively worse. After doing a bit of dr google (don't worry I'm no hypochondriac) I think I have 'the flu' I wouldn't normally worry as like I said most of the time these things just need to run their course but I have had a few symptoms that kinda have me worried.

I have the normal fever, hot cold flushes, chills, aching all over, skin is almost sore to touch, runny nose, blocked ears, chesty cough etc

What has me worried is that for the past 3 days I have had occasions where I have had very mild chest pain, been very dizzy and extremely lethargic. Basically if I'm standing for more then a few minutes I need to sit or lay down which proves to be difficult as DH has been working from 1pm - 10pm every night except tonight.

So I'm contemplating going to the after hours clinic as I'm having trouble breathing (mainly in the mornings and at night) and the only way I have been soldiering on is by taking cold n flu religiously. They do help take the edge off but boy it hits me like a tonne of bricks when they wear off.

So what would you do? Being a Friday night I know it's going to be packed and I'll have to sit there in the waiting room for god knows how long while I feel like absolute death. Do you think I should just go to be safe or tough it out a few more days and see how I feel on Monday which is what I would normally do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Look the practical and 'advising other people' side of me says you should go. I have two friends whose flu turned to pneumonia with mild chest pain as the only sign until it became quite serious.

But. The actual me would balk at the thought of waiting around in a room full of other sick people all night. And I'd wait.

Be like the practical me and go. For peace of mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would go if you have trouble breathing. I hope you get well soon

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If I didn't have to take the kids with me I would go.

Thanks
    Reviews

That's exactly why I'm worried coz I read it can lead to pneumonia. I also have asthma which is quite mild but I generally get it when I'm sick.

My coughing fits are so bad that I've been vomiting. I really regretted having curry for dinner (even tho it was only a small amount) as it burns coming back up sorry TMI

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    If I didn't have to take the kids with me I would go.
    Yeh there is no way I would take the kids with me. DH gets home at 6 tonight so was going to leave as soon as he got home.

I also feel terrible as it's DS1 birthday today. Hasn't been much of a celebration for him

Thanks
    Reviews

Go. Honestly. One of the girls I know who powered through has a broken rib, hairline fracture on another and strained muscles all around from coughing.

She's ended up on morphine.

If you're coughing badly and have asthma and are getting faint you really should get checked out.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ok cool I will go! I guess the cold and flu gives me a false sense of feeling better too and that's why I was fence sitting whether I should go or not. I'm sure it's nothing but I guess it's better to be safe!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There is an absolutely VILE strain of the flu going around at the moment. I was off work for 6 days (not including a weekend in the middle) and I was very very sick for the entire time. I'm only just coming good now. That's so strange for me. The longest I've been sick with a cold is about 4 days, and I've never EVER spent a whole day in bed because I felt I couldn't cope with moving. This time I have!
    DS got the same thing and was just as bad.

I'm glad you've decided to go. Far better to make sure that you aren't developing a chest infection or something related on top of already being sick. Try to get an appointment for the very first thing in the morning. Usually they're running on time in the first appointment or two, and you're less likely to have heaps of sick people hanging around for you to catch things from .

I hope you feel better soon!