+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 weeks comfort feeding. Hate co-sleeping.

Hi. I have a 3 week old daughter who is breastfeeding on demand. On demand means all the darn time especially during the night. She also cluster feeds a lot. We put her in a bassinet next to our bed but she inevitably ends up in our bed and comfort feeds. This is exactly what my 2.5yr old son did and I wanted to avoid some things I did. These are: using a dummy. DD might sleep better in her bassinet with one but DS was addicted to his and I don't want to risk it with DD. Also co-sleeping/feeding. I often end up falling asleep while I breastfeed and I don't want to do this due to the risks.
    But I would be awake ALL night otherwise and I need sleep since I have an active toddler. I won't do CC, especially with a newborn but don't want her in the comfort feeding habit like DS was. Any advice at all?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Eliminate the co sleeping risks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Eliminate the co sleeping risks.
    Ditto.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: 3 weeks comfort feeding. Hate co-sleeping.

DD cluster fed around the same age but grew out of it. I thought it was a normal stage?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm reasonably inexperienced (my first is only 7 weeks old) but these are my suggestions.

Pacifier: I know you said you don't want to fall into same habits as your son, however sometimes you need a little compromise. My GP said that a dummy was fine to get through the newborn need for comfort stage, but to remove it before 6 months as that is when bubby starts to get old enough to associate the comfort with the object.

I fall asleep feeding too, so I always get out of bed and take DD to her nursery, turn the fan heater on and sit in a cheapy Ikea cane chair to feed. It's comfy, but not THAT comfy that I fall asleep. Once she's fed to sleep(y) I put her back into her Basinette next to our bed. She wakes anything from 1.5 to 3 hourly overnight, and we only co-sleep from when she wakes around 4-5am as she is most unsettled at this stage (trying to pass gas) and I'm the most awake.

Make sure she's drinking enough I'm each feed. I wouldn't be expecting a 3 week old to take both breasts, but she needs to be getting a big enough feed without falling asleep in order to then stay full enough to sleep. When my LO was that age, I fed until she started falling asleep then would rub her palm with my thumb, tickle her or wipe her face with a cold nappy wipe to keep her awake and feeding. Once she'd fed for a while and was pulling off, I'd then change her bum, burp and offer her the breast again, which she would usually take with gusto. I'd let her go to sleep this time, and normally she would then last longer.

Also, I'm pretty sure week 3 is a wonder week characterized by cluster feeding. Perhaps the only thing to do is remember there's light at the end of the tunnel?!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Ditto.
    Guidelines for co-sleeping
    The usual ideas for safe sleeping apply to babies who share their parents’ beds:
    • Put your baby on his back to sleep (never on his tummy or side).
    • Make sure his head is uncovered during sleep.
    • Keep the sleep environment smoke-free.
    • Provide firm and safe bedding.
    Here are some simple additional safety precautions for co-sleeping. These will reduce the chance of accidental death through smothering:
    • Avoid sleeping together on the couch – this is very dangerous, as your baby can get trapped between you and the cushions and can suffocate.
    • Make sure your bed is firm. Don’t use anything soft underneath (for example, a lamb’s wool underlay).
    • Use lightweight blankets, not heavy quilts or doonas.
    • Keep sheets and blankets low down on the bed so they can’t cover your baby’s head.
    • Put the bed in the middle of the room and check that the mattress fits firmly in the bed frame. This will stop your baby getting trapped between the bed and the wall or the mattress and the bed frame.
    • Keep your baby away from any pillows.
    • Put your baby beside one parent, but not between parents, so there’s less chance she’ll slip under the bedding.
    • Put your baby where she can’t fall out of bed, but not against pillows or a wall. Babies can suffocate under pillows and have died after becoming trapped between the bed and the wall. A safer alternative is placing the mattress on the floor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have a spare room ? If so Id put a spare double bed or double matress to use for co-sleeping and feeding at night.
    That way your partners sleep doesn't get interrupted and its not so squishy.

Once I got the hang of co-sleeping and feeding it was easy, much easier than trying to sit up and feed whilst struggling to stay awake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. It's not so much the difficulty for me staying awake. I was wondering how others who don't co-sleep get their babies to settle at all in a bassinet/cot at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

It just takes time. At that age, I used to feed him to sleep and then transfer him into his bassinette. Now, he's 10 months old and most of the time he either falls asleep, or is put down drowsy but awake and will self settle.