Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tasmanian Lower Houses passes same-sex marriage laws

Can I just be the first to say...

WOO-FRICKEN-HOO!!!

I am SO proud to be a Tasmanian right now I just hope, hope, hope that this can pass the Upper House as well, but I may not hold my breath just yet...

http://www.themercury.com.au/article...ania-news.html
    SAME-SEX marriage laws have passed the Tasmanian Lower House but now face an uncertain future in the Legislative Council.

Activists hailed last night's vote as a historic moment in the campaign for marriage equality in Australia.

A packed public gallery watched Labor and Greens members speak passionately in support of the Bill, which was jointly sponsored by Premier Lara Giddings and Greens leader Nick McKim.

The 13-11 vote was delivered shortly before 7pm yesterday and was greeted by a standing ovation from supporters in the public galleries as the House of Assembly became the first house of an Australian Parliament to pass same-sex marriage laws.

A vote on the Bill faces another tight vote when it is considered by the Upper House when it resumes in three weeks. Legislative Council members will be subjected to intense lobbying with an outcome in the balance.

The Liberal Party voted against the Bill and Labor member and Speaker of the House Michael Polley crossed the floor to vote with the Opposition. Deputy speaker Tim Morris (Greens) took the chair and did not vote. Ms Giddings said it was a milestone for a state which had only decriminalised homosexuality in 1998.

"I support this legislation because I believe that all Tasmanians should be treated with respect, because I believe that all Tasmanians should be treated with fairness, because I believe that discriminating against Tasmanians on the basis of sexual orientation is wrong," she said.

Ms Giddings acknowledged the campaign against the push.

"I have received many letters from people within Tasmania and interstate who have drawn strongly from the Bible in explaining to me their opposition to same-sex marriage. I recognise the important and profound role that their faith plays in their life. I recognise and respect that their faith has guided them and comforted them.

"But I do not believe that the debate about marriage equality is solely about religious traditions - marriage equality is about civil rights."

The laws face an uncertain fate in the state's Upper House, where the numbers are too close to call, and a possible High Court challenge.

"Unless the High Court determines otherwise, there is nothing to stop the states legislating for same-sex marriage," Ms Giddings said.

Mr McKim began his speech with a quote from the Bible: "Love does no harm to a neighbour, therefore love is the fulfillment of the law", he said, citing Romans.

Opposition Leader Will Hodgman was the only Liberal MP to speak on the legislation, saying he expected it would bring on a High Court challenge.

Long-time activist Rodney Croome hailed last night's vote.

"This is a wonderful result, not just for same-sex couples and their families but also for Tasmania," he said.

"Tasmania is now a beacon of hope to same-sex partners and their families across Australia and to all Australians who support equality and social inclusion."

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (31-08-2012),trishalishous  (01-09-2012),Witwicky  (31-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i have tears of joy.

I so hope this passes the upper house

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

How wonderful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

That is awesome!!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews

I'm so stoked about this news I did a happy dance when I read it yesterday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awesome

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    About time

Thanks
    Reviews

Leaves me with a small ray of hope for the human race

Thanks
    Reviews

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Go Tasmania!

I'm so embarrassed to be a Queenslander right now.

A little part of me is also pleased that Tas has done this as it will make Newman look even more backward

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Izy  (31-08-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (31-08-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast