+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Failed my glucose test ARGH!!!!

Just got off the phone with my OB, I failed my 2 hr glucose test I have to make an appointment with the GD consultant at the hospital but until I see her, can anyone tell me what I should/should not be eating in the meanwhile?

And why is it I had no problems stabbing myself in the stomach with a syringe every day for IVF, but the thought of four finger prick tests daily is freaking me out?

Urgh! So didn't need anything else to worry about this pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Don't freak out it really isn't anything bad at all, lot's of women get GD.

Have a google of low GI foods and try to avoid high GI, it's pretty easy. There's tonnes of foods you can eat. My fav thing as a treat was fruit salad and custard

Here's a list that can help....
    http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

Also I don't want to freak you out but some women will need insulin with their GD but majority will control their GD via just food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohh shucks!!! Its a bummer failing that dammed test.

Its more so watching the serving size of carbs that you are eating. I think it was 2 serves for breakky, 2 for lunch, 2 for dinner but then only 1 for morning tea and afternoon tea. I think from memory its a low GI type diet

For example, usually i eat 2 slices of toast and a big glass of milk for breakky. Early pregnancy i was eating 3 slices but with GD i was only allowed to eat only 1 slice of toast and 250mls milk (yep, milk's a carb). That is 1 serving each of carbs. Or alternatively, 1 cup albran maybe.

Pastas- 1 serve is 1 cup of cooked pasta
    chicken - 1 serve is the size of your palm to middle of fingers
    Steak - 1 serve is the size of your palm
    Potatoes - i think 1/2 a baby potato is 1 serve

etc etc

oh of course, cut out sweets if you can
    Last edited by Bennos Mummy; 31-08-2012 at 10:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear that I'm pretty sure a low gi diet is the way to go (try googling that and diabetes diets to get an idea of what you should be avoiding or eating more of). I passed mine so I don't have any direct experience with it, but good luck I hope it all goes well for you

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Failed my glucose test ARGH!!!!

Just a tip when you prick your finger (one I learnt from work from a dietitian after I kept testing my BSL's and complaining I couldn't type cause it hurt my finger) is to prick to the side of your finger - not the pad - heaps better :-)

Good luck with it all...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Failed my glucose test ARGH!!!!

I had GD and my pregnancy was stress free. I was just more mindful of my diet, but didn't get to the point of needing to count carbs. I never had a high glucose reading and it went away once bub was born.

The positive was that I didn't put much weight

I hope all goes well for you too! Remember, you will only need to do the testing for a few weeks and it goes really fast!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't stress - you'll find it's not as bad as it seems. I was utterly devastated when I found out I had GD with my last pg. But it didn't take long to a) find the foods I loved that I would give me good numbers (and so I could pretty much have however much I wanted...) and b) realise that the finger pricks aren't as bad when you know you've got a yummy snack on the other side

(Plus, I found if you pinch your thumbnail into the pad of your finger first, the prick doesn't really hurt at all. Oh, and don't ever re-use your needles - that will hurt b/c they go dull with each prick.)

You'll do fine!!