+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Calling all Skeptics....

I didn't really know where to put this thread...

..but, I would like to have somewhere to discuss some topics that skeptics and free thinkers alike, go about exploring and debunking.

Personally I thrive on the information that is out there the more I learn, the more I want to know.

So let us share information in our conversation, maybe share what impact having critical or even cynical thinking has had on your life through interactions with others.
    What psuedo-science bugs you the most?

Recommendations of books, authors, articles, websites - welcome

I have a crisp new book sitting on my table - "50 popular beliefs that people think are true" - by Guy P. Harrison...
    ..and after I have attempted to fix the dishwaser [highly likely that I give in and call a repairshop], hang the washing and clean the bathroom- I will be sitting down in the sun to a read.

a selection of topics include (taken from the front cover) : 'you're either born smart or you're not ~ astrology is scientific ~ A psychic read my mind ~ Atlantis is down there somewhere ~ the universe and earth are fine tned for life ~ creationism is true and evolution is not ~ storis of past lives proves reincarnation is real ~ ghosts are real and thy live in haunted houses ~ UFOs are visitors from other worlds ~ Area 51 is where they keep the aliens ~ the end is near'

Be back later
    Looking forward to some interesting, informative, light hearted , questioning conversation!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Majke  (08-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sounds like a great thread! And a great book too - I'll have to check it out.

I think the biggest misconception people have about skeptics is that we are close minded.

I consider myself to be very open minded, and I am open to the possibility of all those things mentioned in your book.

BUT... whilst evidence points to them being improbable, then I will view them as improbable. I would be very excited if we could prove that - for example - ghosts are real, or Area 51 contains aliens, and I wouldn't dispute credible evidence to say that those things existed. But while there is no credible evidence, then I can't believe them to be true.

My background is psychology, and pop psychology (including the oft cited 'we only use x% of our brains') tends to be the thing to make me hurt just a little... That and amber teething necklaces, but we won't go there...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (31-08-2012),Witwicky  (31-08-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    As I said on FB, I've just ordered that book!

Well I've just finished "The Missionary Position" and it's not what you think people! The full title is "The missionary position mother teresa in theory and practice". The author, Christopher Hitchens, shows us the side of Mother Teresa that didn't get reported and it's not so nice. I thoroughly recommend reading.

Before that I just finished reading "The God Dellusion" by Dawkins - right up my alley. I've always been atheist but reading this book has opened up a whole new set of reasons why I am more firmly convinced of atheism.

I've just started reading Sam Harris's "Lying" book and I have The Caged Virgin and God is Not Great (as well as 50 Popular Beliefs that People Think are True) from the book depository.

Can anyone detect a theme? My current topic-de-jour is basically anti-theism. *steps aside quickly to avoid lightening bolt*

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hi fiveinthebed. Im not a skeptic, I dont have to see facts and figures to be able to accept what someone might believe to be true. I can accept there are many things that I may never understand, but that does not make them untrue. I will follow this thread and see where it leads. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Calling all Skeptics....

Oooh this sounds like my kinda thread too! We probably all know how I feel about amber teething necklaces

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (31-08-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing

I am a skeptic. Psychics probably annoy me the most, however nothing gets my goat like the complete rejection of evolution (especially young earth creationism).

I would really love to read that book, let us know how it goes.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Sounds like a great thread! And a great book too - I'll have to check it out.

I think the biggest misconception people have about skeptics is that we are close minded.

I consider myself to be very open minded, and I am open to the possibility of all those things mentioned in your book.

BUT... whilst evidence points to them being improbable, then I will view them as improbable. I would be very excited if we could prove that - for example - ghosts are real, or Area 51 contains aliens, and I wouldn't dispute credible evidence to say that those things existed. But while there is no credible evidence, then I can't believe them to be true.

My background is psychology, and pop psychology (including the oft cited 'we only use x% of our brains') tends to be the thing to make me hurt just a little... That and amber teething necklaces, but we won't go there...
    I really agree with the bolded part

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Out and proud skeptic over here. I don't "believe" anything.

RIP Chris Hitchens.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    hi fiveinthebed. Im not a skeptic, I dont have to see facts and figures to be able to accept what someone might believe to be true. I can accept there are many things that I may never understand, but that does not make them untrue. I will follow this thread and see where it leads. Marie.
    I think skeptic is a very loose and general term. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong fitb) but it's being used to describe people who are more inclined to believe scientific evidence over generally accepted ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah I love this thread already!

Total skeptic and atheist here. (who grew up with a very "spiritual" mum, in a very open minded household)

Only during my late 20s have I began to believe in nothing and im so much happier now!! The books all sound fantastic!