+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Success at first IVF attempt, are there many of you??

I went to Fertility East info evening in Bondi Junction in Sydney... Was a bit overwhelmed with the cost of sperm but glad that it is available.. Where are you going through ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chances - what clinic are you going through?
    IBelieve - what does the cost of sperm cost there? In Qld it appears to be between $500 and $1000 (mostly imported from US). I am trying to decide between two FS at the moment at two different clinics! I am leaning towards one at QFG as apparently he has a great success rate. Such a hard decision to make though, esp when I have no back up plan!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm at QFG - Dr Molloy. I heard Wazza is good too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an appt with Wazza in Nov! I was going to stick with the fs I saw recently at another clinic as I had heard he was good but then lately I have heard a few disheartening things about him so now I am confused! I wanted to do my cycle this year (due to my age and the medicare safety net) but if I decide to go with Wazza then it will prob be next year. Decisions decisions!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

At Fert East it is about $800 a vial for sperm but what they don't tell you on the website is that you have to buy 5 vials because of the cost and effort of getting it, so $3k. You get one go (iui ivf or icsi per vial..

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm pregnant at the moment after my first IVF attempt.

I'm 33, PCOS and my husband has sperm issues.

The only time I ever saw the nurses at my clinic was to get more drugs, all my appointments were with my FS. I don't think I would have been comfortable not seeing my FS until epu.

If you don't see the FS, does that reduce the cost?

Thanks
    Reviews

Just wanted to add....

The IVF road is a tough one. All the drugs play havoc with your hormones. I was bloated and sore, unable to work some days. You will need a strong support network.

I tried really hard to prepare myself for failure, but that's nearly impossible to do.

If you are not sure if this is the journey for you or a gamble your 100% willing to make, go and seek some specialized counseling before deciding. To not be prepared will be costly and not just financially.

I will always describe IVF as a truly awful experience (not a reflection on the clinic or FS, I LOVE them) that gave us a miracle. I am eternally grateful that we had the option of IVF (and it worked), but still wish it wasn't a road we had to travel.

Thanks
    Reviews

Smyles, how many days / weeks were you in discomfort for? Did you gain weight? I appreciate your candor in telling about your experience, I want to make sure I can handle it... Thx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyles View Post

If you don't see the FS, does that reduce the cost?
    No it is the same price! The nurse told me that I prob won't need to see the fs again and I will go to her for any questions etc. She said if I really wanted to talk to my fs again then I could email him or request another appt. But she empahsised that I go to her first! When she said that and that she could possibly do the scans and even FET, well it didn't sit right with me. I appreciate that the nurses are important but I am not putting my money and faith into her, I am putting it into the fs! She did say I could request the fs but to me having the nurse do scans and even FET should not even be an option!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi stormgirl - that seems strange to me. We are doing IVF in Melbourne and I see my FS for my scans, he doesnt do BT and does EPU and transfers. I do have more contact with the nurses during the cycle though but that is mainly because FS faxed them through treatment plan etc and we pick up drugs from the nurses at the clinic - my FS works in a number of locations so I see him at a location convenient to me. When you start IVF first time you need to see the nurses to go through the protocol set up appointment to go through the meds and a counselling session. Good luck.