+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Question Cardio Exercising and Heart Rates - Your opinion of the Fat Burning Zone?

What's your opinion on "the fat burning zone"? I work out usually 6 times a week, with 4 or 5 of those being cardio. I always wear a Polar heart rate monitor that measures my average heart rate and maximum heart rate for the work out. I can push myself quite hard, the hardest I have pushed myself in recent times I managed an average heart rate of 172 for a 40 minute work out. I'm on medication at the moment which raises my heart rate and recently averaged 180 for a 60 minute work out!
    But still, I get no results (I do have more energy and more stamina though but the scales don't shift)

If I kept my work out to the fat burning zone I would need to keep my HR to no more than about 150 which is just boring.

To note:
    I do interval training.
    I feel fine when I work out this hard, no dizziness or nausea
    My HR comes down from say 185 to 150 in about 2 minutes when I slow down to cool down.

I need to go to the gym now...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Cardio Exercising and Heart Rates - Your opinion of the Fat Burning Zone?

Even though it's boring I would try keeping it within your fat burning zone for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cardio Exercising and Heart Rates - Your opinion of the Fat Burning Zone?

Your Dr would be best to advise re meds and your heart rate, but....

I go more by 'energy in vs energy out' when trying to lose weight. The higher intensity the exercise (within reasonable limits), the more KJ burned.

Some things to consider:
    - are you doing resistance training? Muscle weighs approx 3 x more than fat (if I recall correctly), so if you are building muscle you may not see a change on the scales. You are better to take body measurements - I just use a measuring tape and measure around hips, waist and thigh.
    - if you are not doing resistance, you should incorporate at least a couple of sessions per week - more muscle = higher base metabolic rate (ie you are burning more KJ at rest)

Hope this helps. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Add : just saw you may do 1 or 2 strength sessions a week. Definitely take body measurements rather than rely on the scales.

Also, how is your food intake (type of food, portion size)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would look into your food & servings if your exercising adequately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    [in a whiny voice]

But I like food. I eat reasonably well. We never have take away.

*pouts*

Thanks
    Reviews

I am doing Michelle Bridges 12WBT. She says it is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise. On the program women can eat 1200 calories a day (basically 300 calories per meal and two snacks of 150 calories). I am breastfeeding so can have 1700 calories.
    I use the iPhone app myfitnesspal but I have heard that others use calorie king to track calorie in take. Have you tried that???? Myfitnesspal trades off your exercise with your food so just watch the calorie intake and make sure you don't have more than 1200 (or 1700 for pregnant/breastfeeding mums). Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried calorie counting (not a crazy low number) for a couple of weeks to get an idea of how you're tracking with food?

I love the gym, but overeat, and find I have to watch my intake in order to lose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I looked at the calorie king website but I wasn't very impressed. They have an iterative tool to work out the calories burnt during a work out but it does not take into consideration a person's fitness level so how can that possibly be remotely accurate? I often use an elliptical trainer and according to their website I would burn 572 calories but according to my polar heart rate monitor I burn over 1200 on a good day.