+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    http://www.mybabysleepguide.com/2009...-to-sleep.html

This worked for us. In fact once i get my self a bit more sleep ill be doing it again with my kids as they have been waking about 6am lately.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

bubbella  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I am writing this after having only 4 hours sleep last night For the last two nights we have sat on the floor next to her cot until she fell asleep which seemed to be working but last night at 11:30pm she woke up unsettled and nothing was working to try and get her back to sleep. We bought a night light but that appeared to keep her awake and distract her, we tried putting her back into her cot and explaining that it's sleep time etc etc and that didn't work either. We then succumb to tiredness and brought her into our bed but she fidgeted and fussed until 3am this morning when she finally fell asleep.

I am trying to remain positive as I've researched and discovered that this is quite common for 2.5 year olds but it's amazing how a sleep deprived household can quickly crack at the seams after only one week. It's almost like having a newborn once again and we are tip toe-ing around the house in fear of waking our DD.

Any other suggestions would be so welcomed otherwise feel free to join in my vent and wishing for sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 2 1/2 year old now waking at 4am every night - Some advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Babyduck77 View Post
    Does she have a nightlight? Or is she cold? Does she have her last set of molars? Our 2.5 year old wakes up most nights to go to the toilet too and is hard to get back to sleep. Can take over an hour. Great fun when you have a 7 month old who doesn't sleep well either!
    This is us with a 2yo and 3mth old. I swear newborns are easier!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

bubbella  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Haha yes my words exactly "newborns are easier". This is definitely a challenge, I'm beginning to dread bedtime and I'm certain my DD can sense it. I wish she could tell us what is wrong, we've tried asking indirect questions as I don't want to put ideas into her head lol.

We got a clue tonight that it might actually be a fear of the dark so we tried yet another night light and this one seemed to have some effect (yippeeee) it is blue in colour and gives a lovely relaxing feel to the room, she instantly stopped clinging to for dear life to DH's neck and layed on her bed as if it was magic. DH'S sat next to her bed until she fell asleep (supernanny technique) and we will see how it goes tonight. We have decided that the focus for now is getting her to sleep in her bed at the beginning of the night, we aren't sure what to do if she keeps waking at 4am etc as we aren't very good at being consistent at that ungodly hour

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The gro-clock is a blue light at night (while they should be sleeping) and then turns yellow when it's time to get up (you set all those times). We found it worked with both DS and DD, they started waking early and we used to explain the clock wasn't yellow so it was still sleep time. DD still wakes up between 6 and 6.30 so it's lost a little of it's effect but it did stop the 4am stuff. The blue light on it may be soothing too, DD hates lights on but doesn't mind it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

bubbella  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 2 1/2 year old now waking at 4am every night - Some advice please

I'm going through the exact same thing! My DD is 27 months. Slept through the night from 6weeks till about 2 weeks ago. She was happily sleeping in a toddler bed, never got out, even called out in the morning till we come in. Now... She screams every night when we put her to bed and was coming out between 4-5am to our bedroom. We tried the whole walking her back to her room explaining its bedtime etc she thought it was a game. We are only now winning the fight. We got the gro clock, when I put her to bed we say goodbye to the sun and tell her she can't get up till the sun gets up. She seems to understand because when I get her in the morning she excitedly points to the clock saying sun, sun! the other thing is we put the baby safety gate across her door so she can't come out. Sometimes she will cry at the gate but never for long and she's always gone back to bed, not slept on the floor. It's a bit of tough love but I don't want her in our bed, we have a bub due in 3 weeks so need her sorted by then. Just a stage we all seem to be going through, hope it gets better for you soon.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Penelopee For This Useful Post:

bubbella  (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2.5yr DS is doing this too & im at my wits end, I actually had a sick day today just so I could catch up on some sleep

He was waking once a night which I could handle but this past week it is up to 4 or 5 times, im like a walking zombie!!!

Normally I can pick him up give him a cuddle on his way back to his room & tuck him in & he is back to sleep straight away.

I just checked & he finally has his 2 year molars coming through, which could be the reason it is getting worse.

I really dont want him in bed with hubby & I as I get no sleep then either.

He has a night light & we have a heater in his room so he doesnt get cold.

aaaaaaaaaargh this mummy needs some sleep

Thanks
    Reviews

Walking zombie indeed! yep that's us at the moment. I work part time and was extremely tempted to ring in sick to work today just so I could hide under the covers while DD was at daycare, still wishing I did but I went to work.

We are still having issues but I think we have made some headway. She is now willing to hop into her bed without persuasion from us and is happy to lay there as Long as the door is open and we stand near the door. Just a few days ago she was kicking and screaming if we tried to put her to bed plus we had to sit on the floor next to her bed. It's still hard to believe that only two weeks ago I could put her to bed, close the door and relax comfortably knowing she would not stir until the next morning eek now we are here with night lights and constant waking with crying etc.

I can't help but take it all personally even though I shouldn't, I keep thinking that I have done something wrong with her to cause her to feel this way at bed time, maybe I said something wrong or didn't read a book when she wanted, you know something like that. It's such a challenging age.

Anyways just venting, here's hoping we all get some much needed sleep tonight with everyone in their own bed (fingers crossed)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Please don't take it personally, I know that feeling and it just eats at you. My DS has been a bad sleeper and at 6 he's only just turned the corner. We ended up sleeping in his room so DH and I never slept together for a full night for at least 3 years (no wonder DD took so long to make!). It's not your fault, some kids just aren't easy to sleep and even harder to help them to sleep (tempted to say train but that sounds not quite right but you know what I mean). I hope you turn the corner soon, sleep deprivation truly is torture!!