+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Did you get tested for GBS/should I demand to be tested?

"Early-onset GBS disease can cause sepsis (an infection in the blood), pneumonia, and, less frequently, meningitis. Some of these babies, particularly those with meningitis, will have long-term health problems such as hearing or vision loss, cerebral palsy, or developmental disabilities, and about 5 percent won't survive. "

So to me that's pretty serious stuff, the chance of a baby getting a GBS related disease is 1:200 without antibiotics and 1:4000 with ( so treatment is quite effective) Basically my midwife group practice I am a part of do not test for GBS routinely, as they do not believe it is high risk enough to cause a problem....well call me a pessimist but the consequences can be pretty dire in the small chance that there are problems. Also if that were the result of a down syndrome screening test that is considered pretty high risk! I am going to talk to my midwife again about this, but I just wanted some other opinions first! This is my first baby and I am 36weeks.

So basically I would like to know do most people get tested for GBS, or is this common that a lot of places don't? And do you think I should demand a test?

Thankyou

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I had it done. If you are concerned, just ask for it. It's up to you, but I felt it was worthwhile.
    Last edited by Atropos; 31-08-2012 at 08:46.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had it done. I always thought it was something that was routinely done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Did you get tested for GBS/should I demand to be tested?

Really? I used mgp where we live and they tested. I was pos as well for ds. Just meant some ivabs had to be give during the labour. I would demand to b tested.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I didn't have it done with either pregnancy but had regular pee stick urine tests for protein. That's usually a good indicator of GBS. If you have high protein on that regularly then GBS is warranted.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    Really? I used mgp where we live and they tested. I was pos as well for ds. Just meant some ivabs had to be give during the labour. I would demand to b tested.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub
    I agree. I was pos as well and because I had a minor tear in my hind waters (at 38+3) I was induced (earlier than planned as I had high blood pressure and was supposed to be induced at 39weeks) and given antibiotics.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't tested with my first but I was with my second. I had Strep C not B. It was uncommon none of the midwives had dealt with it or knew what to do. But apparently you treat it the same as strep B. however they didn't get AB into me quick enough in labor so it was useless.
    I
    personally wouldn't bother getting tested again, it is something that alot of women carry and rarely causes any problems. My hospital (RBWH) did not routinely test for it though and they are a large tertiary hospital and I doubt they wouldn't do it if it didn't matter.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was tested for the first 2, and not for the second. I had it in my second pregnancy and the ivabs were a pain in the butt during labour.
    I have quick water births do the chances of contracting it if I was carrying it is low. I prefer to look for a sign of infection in the baby rather than treating them with abs and reducing their immunity to them beforehand.
    In the UK they have stopped screening for it in pregnancy I've heard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I was tested for my first pregnancy and came up positive, so apparently because of that I have to be treated for it in all consecutive labours, regardless if I have it or not.
    Next time I will be saying no to being tested and no to being treated.
    I think the information you posted is misleading. Monitoring a baby after birth for early symptoms is enough to treat the baby if need be and avoid complications, rather than treating just because. And in the event of a fast labour, the antibiotics wouldn't even have had enough time to have an effect.
    It's just not necessary.
    And just because a woman tests negative at 36 weeks doesn't mean they would still test negative at the time they give birth. Strep B is a naturally occurring flora in ALL women, it comes and goes.

http://www.healthychild.com/treating...tics-necessary < I found this really helpful when I was pregnant with DD2.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (01-09-2012)

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews

I was never tested had nil risk factors though.

I asked and the MW talked me through it and we decided not to bother