+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kidney surgery - dilated kidney - kidney reflux!!

Hi
    not sure if I've come to the right place but can't seem to find any other kidney forums!
    Mydsughter is 5 months old and has kidney duplex left side and a very dilated left kidney. Doing tests to see function then surgeon will decide of he will remove kidney or what.

Any other mums or dads have same experience????
    if so how was surgery hospital stay etc??
    thankyou!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kidney surgery - dilated kidney - kidney reflux!!

I havent had any experience with this but just wanted to say how sorry i am that you and your little girl are going through this. It must be very scary!

Can i ask how you found out she had a problem?

Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hello.
    My daughter has a dialated left kidney also. It was substantially dialated at birth and at 6 weeks but at six months was getting smaller on its own. We have a follow up scan this week. Was meant to be at 12 months but she had other health problems recently to deal with.
    If the kindey becomes an appropriate size on its own then it will be left alone. She also had a test done at 4 weeks (she was unwell) where they took a sample directly from her kidney with a fine needle. Wasnt very pleasant but she was okay and the results were fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS had a dilated left kidney which was found to be the result of a PUJ obstruction (ie a blockage at the junction between the ureter and renal pelvis). He had surgery at 7 months to remove the blockage which didn't restore kidney function but did make sure it didn't deteriorate further. The surgery went well - worried me and DH more than it did DS who was soon happily trying to practice rolling in his cot with IV still attached. They are very resilient! He is now 5 1/2 and due for another check-up end of this year. The last check-up was 2 years ago and so far had been no further loss of function.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi ladies,

Found out she had this at 20 week scan, and has just had scans so far. Had a MAG3 test last week to test function, then this thurs will have another kidney function test which isnt as intense as the MAG3, then surgeon will decide when to operate, seems her kidney is quite dilated, i am very interested to find out the function of both kidneys, hoping surgery can be put off she only had open heart surgery 2 months ago!

Cat13 - How was recovery for your little man after surgery and did he need a breathing tube etc?
    Glad he is doing well!!

thanks so much for all your replies!!!

xxoo