+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you have a Bumbo?

I used mine until 22 months as a high chair for my dd. i love it. I recently got my friend a second hand one for $10 and she also uses it as a high chair. My dd is a shorty and is nearly 2 and still fits in it and also now uses it to feed her dolls. I found it really handy as my dd didn't fit in her high chair until recently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KCT View Post
    Don't you hold your baby in an upright position on your lap sometimes before they are ready to sit themselves. Or help them stand up before they are ready to do it themselves. Or help them walk before they can do it themselves?? You can choose not to use one yourself but some people love them and the last part of your post was pretty harsh!!
    Sitting your baby on your lap is different...for one, they have far more back and head support than they do in a Bumbo so it takes a lot of strain off their little bodies. Secondly, the bumbo seat is lower than the leg holes, so their hips are at awkward angles, which is the design so they don't topple out. It's unnatural and I imagine if you tried to sit in a seat like that you'd find it rather uncomfortable before too long. I didn't prop my babies up to sit by themselves before they were able to do it on their own.
    As far as helping them to stand before they were ready or helping them to walk before they were ready, no I didn't.

I don't have as much of an issue with them to be used as a portable seat once the baby can sit up by itself unaided...but before they can I do think it has the potential to be really bad for their development long term.

I'm also sorry if you think the last part of my post was harsh, I do wish they would cease from existence because they are becoming extremely popular and not everyone would limit the amount of time their baby spent in them and I do worry about the long term effects this will have on babies, a bit like jolly jumpers, walkers, baby bjorn carriers....it took a while but now we know that these things aren't good for a baby's spine. I know at least two of my friends would sit their baby in them on their kitchen bench while they were cooking dinner etc. One fell off and broke his leg when he was 10 months old. So yeah, I'm not a fan at all. If you're confident with using yours then my post shouldn't mean anything to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by captainscaptain View Post
    DS used one between 3-6 months. It was great cos he wanted to sit but he couldn't...but now I've heard that it's bad for theire spines!?
    Anything that forces a baby to sit upright like that before they are ready to has the potential to do damage to their spine. I'm sure lots of kids will sit in them and not have any problems, but the risk is there and the fact that Bumbo advertises it to be used from 2 months old it's not your fault. They should be made to change the recommended age for it IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wastingtime View Post
    Anything that forces a baby to sit upright like that before they are ready to has the potential to do damage to their spine. I'm sure lots of kids will sit in them and not have any problems, but the risk is there and the fact that Bumbo advertises it to be used from 2 months old it's not your fault. They should be made to change the recommended age for it IMO.
    I suppose in a way that everything can be considered bad for babies; my friends and I always joke out this. For example though, I would personally love to ban any shoes on kids under 4 years old. DS is bear foot or in moccosins 99% of the time because I can't think of anything worse than putting $5 K-mart runners on developing feet! It's not to say that mothers that do that don't have the best of intentions, we all just make different decisions based on our current knowledge.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Do you have a Bumbo?

I suppose in a way that everything can be considered bad for babies; my friends and I always joke out this. For example though, I would personally love to ban any shoes on kids under 4 years old. DS is bear foot or in moccosins 99% of the time because I can't think of anything worse than putting $5 K-mart runners on developing feet! It's not to say that mothers that do that don't have the best of intentions, we all just make different decisions based on our current knowledge.
    Sorry for going off topic, my mother could only buy my Clark's from the time I was in hard soles. I had a hard to fit foot then. However as every minute outside of school & church was in non restrictive shoes such as tongs keep soft soled sand shoes my feet are harder to fit now. The ball of my foot is wide and flat. My heel is shaped badly too. As an adult I can't get away with wearing thongs everywhere but I can't always wear shoes. Perhaps you need to think of That too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I totally agree that using a bumbo for a 2 month old is completely ridiculous. I only used mine once DD was strong enough to hold her own head up etc. she was very close to sitting on her own but couldn't keep her balance for long. I would never put a tiny baby in one. Like I said - common sense.

Thanks
    Reviews

I thought that's what bumbo's were for just to help balance when they were close to sitting but still wobbly... Bought DD hers at 4 months, I would say she sits in it for 3 or 4 times a day for 5 to 10 minutes...
    If you want a place to put baby for longer periods of time I would suggest a swing or rocker DD would be in her most of the day, rocking away listening to music and napping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Wastingtime View Post
    I really hate how popular Bumbo's are.

'Propping' a child up in a seated position before they are ready is not good for them. It teaches them incorrect postural alignment, which can lead to a rounded back and forward leaning head.
    Your baby is ready to sit when they are physically able to do it themselves. I know that babies are 'propped' up in other other devices (pram, swing etc.) but usually they are at least lying back a little which takes the pressure off their spine and neck...in a Bumbo they are upright and I've never seen a 3 month old sitting in one who doesn't look like it is struggling to hold itself up (even when people post pics on FB and comment about how strong their baby is...they don't look strong, it looks unnatural and awkward).
    I liken it to things like a jolly jumper, walkers etc...things that require the baby to be in an upright position....the age suggestion on those is from 6 months so I think a Bumbo should only be used from then too, but then what is the point, most babies are sitting up on their own around that age anyway.

Anyway, it is just my opinion, but no I have never used a Bumbo, would never use one and quite frankly I wish they would cease from existence.
    I actually had a physio recommend the bumbo for dd2 to help encourage upper body strength and the health nurse recommended jolly jumpers for leg strength. Dd2 is almost 7 months corrected. But yeah they shouldn't be used before 3 months or until they are able to support their own necks

Sent from my GT-S6500T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefooted&Pregnant View Post
    Sorry for going off topic, my mother could only buy my Clark's from the time I was in hard soles. I had a hard to fit foot then. However as every minute outside of school & church was in non restrictive shoes such as tongs keep soft soled sand shoes my feet are harder to fit now. The ball of my foot is wide and flat. My heel is shaped badly too. As an adult I can't get away with wearing thongs everywhere but I can't always wear shoes. Perhaps you need to think of That too.

Think of his feet possibly being hard to fit shoes onto one day? I'd much prefer that than putting shoes on him now that change how every muscle and bone in his legs/back work naturally.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Think of his feet possibly being hard to fit shoes onto one day? I'd much prefer that than putting shoes on him now that change how every muscle and bone in his legs/back work naturally.
    You could buy more expensive shoes that take into account that he is growing and save home having to get shoes made for his adult life. I Also have issues with my back and legs anyway. The bones and muscles in just feet will spread causing pain and damage. Just letting you know the otherwise of the story that is Also something to think about. There would be some valance that might bring worth thinking about.