+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you have a Bumbo?

Yup, we use it instead of a highchair. She has her solids while sitting in it. She also sits in on the grass while I hang the clothes on the line. It's very handy because you can easily throw it the car and take it anywhere if you need to. I personally love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again for your replies. I am not a pram user nor do I like the idea of a our baby laying on the ground at all times vulnerable (our 3 year old DS is a bull at a gate!!) so I think I will definitely look in to getting one now. And as someone said they are easy to take away with you, that's a great point.

Wasting time I agree with you about posture. Most babies before 6 months seem fairly awkward in any position, especially after a prolonged amount of time. Our dd has mild scoliosis (she was born with it) so I am aware of the implications early propping can cause. Thanks for your input.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love the bumbo, maybe check out eBay for a second hand one, miss z loves hers, she is 8.5kgs and her legs fit fine...... So far..... Oh and the little table I got from eBay too soooo much cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Wastingtime View Post
    I really hate how popular Bumbo's are.

'Propping' a child up in a seated position before they are ready is not good for them. It teaches them incorrect postural alignment, which can lead to a rounded back and forward leaning head.
    Your baby is ready to sit when they are physically able to do it themselves. I know that babies are 'propped' up in other other devices (pram, swing etc.) but usually they are at least lying back a little which takes the pressure off their spine and neck...in a Bumbo they are upright and I've never seen a 3 month old sitting in one who doesn't look like it is struggling to hold itself up (even when people post pics on FB and comment about how strong their baby is...they don't look strong, it looks unnatural and awkward).
    I liken it to things like a jolly jumper, walkers etc...things that require the baby to be in an upright position....the age suggestion on those is from 6 months so I think a Bumbo should only be used from then too, but then what is the point, most babies are sitting up on their own around that age anyway.

Anyway, it is just my opinion, but no I have never used a Bumbo, would never use one and quite frankly I wish they would cease from existence.
    Don't you hold your baby in an upright position on your lap sometimes before they are ready to sit themselves. Or help them stand up before they are ready to do it themselves. Or help them walk before they can do it themselves?? You can choose not to use one yourself but some people love them and the last part of your post was pretty harsh!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Momkey For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I bought a similar item from Target. It's a tad bigger than bumbo but it's only $25. It's been fantastic and we take it on holidays etc so our baby has a seat for feeding etc. in glad I didn't spend $80 or so.

Thanks
    Reviews

I used bumbo for my third son when he was learning to sit around 6 months old.
    With the older two who were still only 4.5 and 2.5 I was to scared to teach him to sit any other way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use ours as a high chair, obviously on the ground as even at 6 months DS could wriggle out of it. I still use it for his meals and he is almost 11 months, chubby bubba but fits fine.
    I also agree I would not sit bubs in one unless they had the body strength to support themselves without slumping, but means they cant fall forward or crawl away mid spoon ful!
    Try a second handy on gumtree, ebay or facebook buy swap sell sites.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS used one between 3-6 months. It was great cos he wanted to sit but he couldn't...but now I've heard that it's bad for theire spines!?

Thanks
    Reviews

I think they can be if you put them in too early when their heads are still really wobbly and not strong enough. Common sense I think!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Do you have a Bumbo?

I was told by my doc so long as its no more the half an hour at a time and only a couple times a day bub should be ok in it

sent from my happy place while I steal 5min for myself