+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default **warning distressing** Charlotte Dawson in hospital after twitter attack.

Anyone watching 60 minutes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    yes I watched it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default **warning distressing** Charlotte Dawson in hospital after twitter attack.

I really felt for her, I don't think it was purely for publicity

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I honestly don't know. I think the tweets were revolting, absolutely, but they felt the need to mention her book coming out, by name and showed the cover, and made a point of saying that it's not a publicity stunt, which I thought was a but weird. It didn't sit right with me, But I still feel sorry for her, having to read such awful things.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (02-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I feel for her. I find it odd that people who trade off social media are also engaging in it, in what is obviously an emotional way.

I would think it would be important to disengage emotionally from this sort of stuff, feeding the trolls will only cause more problems. I think the saddest part is a woman who appears to be successful and have a career is spending her time alone, feeding her own twitter trolls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I really do understand the cynicism in regards to her book - but honestly for someone in the public eye when would be a good time to have a breakdown caused by rabid twitterers? If it wasn't a book it would be the next season of Top Model or something.

Imagine - especially if you already suffered from depression - how reading those things would make you feel?

She's an anti-bullying ambassador and her response to bullies has always been to expose them by retweeting. Sure, for self preservation it's better not to do that and block them, but I absolutely understand her retweeting.

Screw bullies hiding behind computers. They should be named and shamed (even if they have fake identities).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm glad this issue has been given some publicity. Too many young people have taken their lives in the context of (ie maybe not 'caused' by, but possibly influenced by) cyber bullying of this type. If it takes a celebrity about to release a book to address this issue, then so be it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ABigDeepBreath For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: **warning distressing** Charlotte Dawson in hospital after twitter attack.

Everyone has access to help when it comes to depression, there are plenty of help lines, gp mental health plans, etc.
    But not everyone feels that they can reach out. Mental illness and depression are still taboo and seen as bad. It is hard to reach out and get the help you need.
    And then when you do express your feelings, in an attempt to reach out for that help, you are seen as attention seeking. Nice!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BubHub

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (03-09-2012),WorkingClassMum  (03-09-2012)