+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fighting sleep!

My almost 4 month old DD fights sleep a lot. She never sleeps if we are out, only sleeps in the car if it's a longish drive and can take over an hour to get to sleep at home. Some days it is easy, some days impossible and I end up feeding her to sleep (sometimes multiple times) or rocking the bassinet. We are moving her into the cot on the weekend as she has outgrown her bassinet and I'm scared it doesn't rock that well...

When she's asleep, she sleeps well but I just dread putting her down sometimes. I notice her tired signs well I think but she always fights me! Is this normal? How do people put their babies to sleep during the day?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fighting sleep!

I found it really hard to get DD to sleep in the daytime too. Now during the daytime if she's cranky and it's not anything easily fixed (wind, feed, nappy etc) then she goes down for a nap. Dummy if she'll take it, swaddling. Depending on the day she either likes me to put a hand on her and she settles eventually (I lean my head on the cot and shut my eyes while I'm doing this- gives me a mini break and means i don't make eye contact with her. She stays awake forever if I do) or another thing I do is pull out a pillow and lie on the floor next to the cot. Weird but sometimes she goes to sleep easily if there's someone in the room.

Sometimes I find she wakes after 10 mins or so but when I put her dummy back in, rewrap & re settle her she'll often sleep for another good hour.

Good luck, it's really hard when they don't sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fighting sleep!

Should add, sometimes I feed her to sleep too. Don't think there's anything wrong with that- whatever works!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fighting sleep!

My DD doesn't take a dummy. If I am in the room, she is calmed but she also gets excited, squeals and laughs at me. If I pick her up she calms but she looks around and would never fall asleep on me anymore. She uses to self settle well but now she keeps fighting me!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fighting sleep!

Yeah I'm not worried about feeding her to sleep as I don't do it all the time but sometimes that doesn't work either

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fighting sleep!

My Mr 17 weeks has taken to waking every 1.5 - 2 hours overnight... Needless to say, I'm wrecked...

Im searching Bub hub for reasons...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fighting sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by MsEnchantress View Post
    My Mr 17 weeks has taken to waking every 1.5 - 2 hours overnight... Needless to say, I'm wrecked...

Im searching Bub hub for reasons...
    4 month sleep regression!

Do you rock your baby to sleep or feed to sleep?

At 4 months, their sleep cycles change and they start to 'wake' up over night as opposed to drifting into and out of sleep cycles as they do before 4 months.

If you rock or feed your bub to sleep, when they wake fully in the night, they need the same thing to put them to sleep.

Unfortunately to stop this happening you will probably need to do some sleep training. Try the no cry sleep solution by Elizabeth Pantley or babysleepsite dot com for tips on sleep training.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fighting sleep!

DD is 5 months she's usually a pretty good sleeper, but we had a bad few days at about 4months where she would fight sleep and I'd have to rock her to sleep for hours and then she'd wake up if I tried to wrap her, we worked out that she likes to snuggle her face in something, I guess it makes her feel safe, she also likes to hold something in her hands, she's got a fav bunny which is mostly material. So now when she's tiered she'll snuggle her face on the inside corner of my elbow holding her bunny while I sing you are my sunshine... She's asleep in 2 min flat every time!!! When I put her down I hold my hand to her face where she was snuggled till she relaxes (30 sec) then she'll turn her head to a comfy spot and sigh then I know I can tuck her in and she's sound asleep :-)
    Maybe try the snuggle and hold ;-) works for my DD

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fighting sleep!

No I try and put him down awake... Going downs not the issue.. It's when he wakes at night... He won't go back to sleep unaided