+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Tell me about your first moments as a new parent

Quote Originally Posted by Disney View Post
    Are there books about what to do with a newborn? Both my DH and I have never even held a newborn let alone been around one eek!!
    I am due in January and am currently reading baby love. Its all about how to look after your new bub etc. its also Australian and very thorough. Covers both sides of things too, so bottle and breast feeding etc. how to hand express. Baby trouble shooting and all three other practical stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    I am due in January and am currently reading baby love. Its all about how to look after your new bub etc. its also Australian and very thorough. Covers both sides of things too, so bottle and breast feeding etc. how to hand express. Baby trouble shooting and all three other practical stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Baby trouble shooting I'll add it to my list of books to buy once UTD! Congrats on ur pregnancy. January is just around the corner then you can post your bringing baby home story here!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Disney For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (30-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I followed the "What to Expect" books... from the pregnancy one, to the baby one, to the toddler one... but seriously, you probably get a lot more useful info just from asking on here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 was about a 1 loved every moment of going home.
    DD2 DH was working and my Mum had to bring me home with DD1 then left me alone with the 2 of them (DD1 and DD2) as she had my niece and it was chrissy eve so she was very busy not good

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney View Post
    Are there books about what to do with a newborn? Both my DH and I have never even held a newborn let alone been around one eek!!
    We were the same with our first. Going home wasn't too bad but I did freak out abit when we walked in the door and he grizzled, and I panicked and thought "WTF do I do if he starts screaming, I don't have the midwives to ask!!".
    I learnt a whole lot on the 2 days I was in hospy. When he was first born and they popped him on my chest, that was all well and good; I laid there, he laid there. It was when he was dressed and wrapped, and given back to me, and I wanted to put him down, that I realised, I didn't actually know how to put him down without fear of holding him wrong or dropping him. I actually buzzed the midwives and had them come and help me put him down. No joke. Same when it came to handing him to (now ex)H, we had no idea how to handle him. Same again with first nappy change. First bath. I had the midwives help every step of the way. And they were all so helpful and friendly, they didn't once make me feel stupid.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Disney  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me about your first moments as a new parent

Haha this is a good one! It was me and DH with tiny little DD, we actually stopped at the pharmacy on the way home because I hadn't bought any pumps/bottles stuff. We drove home ever so slowly! Doggie smelled me bub and everything else, my mum was staying with us for a few weeks which was nice. Baby was sleeping as they usually are after a car ride so we let her sleep then I fed her and cuddled her ALOT, held her and everyone was just looking at her all day. Honestly it all just feels natural and normal, instincts kick in and just go with the flow!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

Disney  (31-08-2012),Witwicky  (30-08-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    Haha this is a good one! It was me and DH with tiny little DD, we actually stopped at the pharmacy on the way home because I hadn't bought any pumps/bottles stuff. We drove home ever so slowly! Doggie smelled me bub and everything else, my mum was staying with us for a few weeks which was nice. Baby was sleeping as they usually are after a car ride so we let her sleep then I fed her and cuddled her ALOT, held her and everyone was just looking at her all day. Honestly it all just feels natural and normal, instincts kick in and just go with the flow!
    Ahh yes, let's not forget the old slow drive home from the hospital I think we went about 40km the whole way pmsl

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Disney  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I remember with dd I went straight from the hospital to the dr's!! I was feeling so ill and had trouble breathing (had repeatedly told the midwives this at the private hospy and they ignored it) and my stomach had turned black almost from bruising and i just couldn't stop crying.. at the dr surgery waiting room i had a panic attack and was convinced i was going to die because i had so much trouble breathing, my chest was sore.

when I got home all i wanted to do was sleep. with ds, i felt much more human! lol. no breathing probs, no black tummy, even tho i had a second c/sec, and the only thing i felt terrible about was that i was sharing the love i had for dd but with another baby now, so i felt dd was getting shafted a bit because i loved someone else just as much. silly me got all upset and had a little sooky. LOL.

Thanks
    Reviews

I freaked about a 10. Ds1 was a CS under a ga. I spent 6 days in hospital and when they finally let me go home it was getting late into the evening. I was upset as it took all day to get them to release me, We walked in the door sorted him out then I vomited all night from the pain :-(
    They didn't send me home with any relief at all. I spent most of the night watching him sleep or checking on him.
    I honestly had no idea how to care for him at all, aside from what I was taught in hospital. I dragged myself out of bed on my own on day 3 to change his bum for the first time. Undid his nappy and thought wtf do I do now? One of the other mums showed me how to clean him and swaddle him. So disheartening.

Ds2 I was about a 3. It was more of a omg what have we done freak out.

Dd1 was such a breezy entrance into the world. I had no freak outs at all. I'd finally learnt if she was up for 3 hours overnight that I couldn't force sleep on her and just go with the flow. Such a settled and content baby. It helps that my little boys are old enough to help a little and teaching/reassuring them about what's normal with a baby, reassured me also.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bizzybee For This Useful Post:

Disney  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Ahh yes, let's not forget the old slow drive home from the hospital I think we went about 40km the whole way pmsl
    DH took back roads instead of the highway, took twice the time to get home but was sweet! Probably the first real dad responsibly they have and they take it VERY slow oh sorry seriously!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

Disney  (31-08-2012),Witwicky  (31-08-2012)