+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RandR View Post

I defintly feel like I read up so much on pregnancy and birth, and didn't even think of reading up on what to do when I got home!! When I finally went into labour my birth plan and all the reading on coping with pain went out the window! It was nothing like I expected and I did whatever I felt like doing to cope.

So if I can offer any advice it would be to read up not only on pregnancy and birth, but also on general care of a newborn! Settling techniques, feeding, routines, sleeping etc! Also, relax and do what feels right for you and your baby!
    Are there books about what to do with a newborn? Both my DH and I have never even held a newborn let alone been around one eek!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Tell me about your first moments as a new parent

After 3 weeks in hospital we were pretty excited to bring him home. I remember putting him in the bassinet and thinking now what should we do.
    We watched him sleeping most of the day. And we took him outside quickly to meet our elderly next door neighbour.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to becca022 For This Useful Post:

Disney  (30-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I freaked out scale 10 too. Such a shame because DS was one of those "perfect babies" for the first few weeks of his life and I still couldn't relax. It was all just so new and I had no idea what I was doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tell me about your first moments as a new parent

Quote Originally Posted by Disney View Post
    Thanks for sharing your stories ladies!! They have made me laugh and feel more at ease. It's gotta be a moment you"ll remember forever!!
    No, I can't remember! I do remember lots of nights awake till 3am with a newborn who wouldn't go to sleep though and DH and I not knowing what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Do you want the truth because my first "moments" with my first baby were traumatic. And I don't mean that lightly.

Bringing katelyn (second baby) home was the most amazing thing ever. Best thing was breast feeding her tucked on one arm while washing jasper (3 year olds) hair in the shower and then cooking dinner and laying in bed with both my babies feeling so whole and complete and like a normal mum. Aside from normal hormonal teary patch on day 3 not freaked out at all.

I'm fine sharing my first baby experience but it's not "normal" so I don't want to freak you out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I freaked out big time when we first came home my DP had to drop us off and go back to work so it was a mess I had nothing ready properly at home as DS was early I just sat there and cryed then felt a bit better.

Thanks
    Reviews

I got dropped off and my husband went to work as he was on a short term contract then no job. I was fine with 1. Fast forward 13 months and we brought number 2 home- well number 1 was fine visiting mummy and baby in hospital but she had the biggest meltdown when we brought the baby home- biggest tantrum I've ever seen. Of course the baby started crying then I did. Finally we called my mum who came over and took the baby for a walk (Maddy happily waved bye bye and slammed the door) and Maddy and I had cuddles- 24 hours later she was fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post

I'm fine sharing my first baby experience but it's not "normal" so I don't want to freak you out.

Im intrigued ! Please share

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Disney For This Useful Post:

munchkin275  (30-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Disney View Post
    Are there books about what to do with a newborn? Both my DH and I have never even held a newborn let alone been around one eek!!
    Yep. There's heaps. Maybe just go to the library (if there's one near you get familiar with it because they likely have bubs/toddler reading sessions etc as well as a source of entertainment and mummy friends. And I'd just grab a bunch of books and see what fits for you. I'd steer clear of books with very regimented routines.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Disney  (30-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

It felt totally surreal bringing our son home. As we walked out of the hospital I felt so weird carrying a baby and having people stop us to say how lovely he was. When we got home I put him in his bassinet and we just sat on our bed looking at him sleeping. I couldn't believe we were home and he was ours. Then we brought the dog in to meet him and he freaked out (the dog not the baby) which was quite hilarious.

My first few days at home were quite painful (I had a c section) as I pushed myself too hard and did too much instead of letting hubby do the hard work!