+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Paid Parental Leave

Can anybody let me know how this actually works? Have heard a few different things from different people. Have heard from work that you get 18 weeks at a set amount and then somebody else has said they work out how much you earn etc?
    Any help much appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It lasts for 18wks - min wage but taxed at the rate you usually get taxed. Ie if your income falls onto the 30% rate then you will get 1212-30% per fortnight.

Thanks
    Reviews

If you go on family assistance website they have a income calculator that works out which is better for you PPL or baby bonus. I was given set amount for 18 weeks (was about $1000 a fortnight) which I'm sure is based on minimum wage amount (could be wrong). All my friends who have received it have all got the same amount as me. Your work should also have a booklet about it or check out their website.

Also if your work offers paid maternity leave you can still also receive paid parental leave as well.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi there

Basically it's in place of the baby bonus - you can't get both for the one child. There are work requirements to be eligible such as worked at least 10 months of the previous 13 months prior to the birth. And you must have worked at least 330 hours in that 10 month period (approx 1 day per week) with no more than an 8 week gap between two working days. This allows for casual workers with multiple employers to be eligible for example.

If you are eligible you get 18 weeks pay at minimum wage. You pay tax on this income unlike the baby bonus.

Humanservices.gov.au have all the info on their website regarding paid parental leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks guys have worked a full time job for the last 2 years so im sure i qualify in that respect i do get paid maternity leave from my job of 6 weeks and then the 18 weeks from the government. well i hope i get the 18 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews

Aren't there restrictions on the baby bonus?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by samken View Post
    Aren't there restrictions on the baby bonus?
    I know there are restrictions on the PPL but didn't think there were for baby bonus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually called DHS about this today! You will need to call them at some stage about this, as much of a headache as it is. To be eligible, you must be the primary carer, have satisfied the work requirements, and earn less than $150,000 per year.

The payments are made through your employer and are currently $609 per week. There's a whole bunch of procedural stuff as well, and they can explain the Family Tax Benefit too (which apparently I don't get).

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty sure baby bonus is income tested. Ppl is paid at the minimum federal wage as others have said but from all of my research you should be taxed at the rate of the ppl not your normal pay. If you are taxed at the normal rate of your pay then you will end up overpaying which just means you get it back at the end of the year.

You can get ppl at the same time as paid maternity leave from your employer or any annual leave you are entitled to.

You can not work and be paid for any period of time during the 18 weeks or your entitlement to ppl ends.

Check out the department of human services and the fair work websites for more details.