+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default BFF 30th Birthday Party or DD2s Friend's 1st Birthday ~ WWYD???

If my BF didn't come to my 30th because she went to a 1st birthday instead I would be pretty peeved.

We all love our kids but they are not the centre of the universe and I think other family members (i.e mum and dad) should take priority every now and then. And I am not sure why the fact your BF is single with a bio clock ticking makes any difference to this decision.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to goldencrumble For This Useful Post:

babyla  (02-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The pub may have a playroom? A lot do these days

I'd o to the 30th personally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would choose BFF's bday every day of the week. It wouldn't cross my mind not to go.

I would probably have dh take the kids to the kids' party, though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldencrumble View Post
    If my BF didn't come to my 30th because she went to a 1st birthday instead I would be pretty peeved.

We all love our kids but they are not the centre of the universe and I think other family members (i.e mum and dad) should take priority every now and then. And I am not sure why the fact your BF is single with a bio clock ticking makes any difference to this decision.
    Just for the record it doesn't, it was just back ground info! I don't recall stating that that had any impact on my decision?! Just found it a bit odd that she has said there will be more kids there than adults but no entertainment for them - now they are my children and they are my responsibility so I am totally fine with providing them with activities whilst there. Also it's a 5 hour round trip drive for a 2-3 hour party.

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with others - go to the 30th!

Sometimes for special events you need to just suck it up and put yourself out - that's what makes a good friend, one who is willing to put someone else ahead if themselves!

I honestly would ask your DH to stay home - you go and stay the night and celebrate with your friend!

Inappropriate venue, no babysitter, long car trip are all acceptable reasons for your DDs not to attend - not you!

I would very upset if my BFF didn't come to my 30th - especially if I had been overseas for a significant period of time leading up!

Strawberry festivals come every year - 30th Birthdays once!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're going and staying the night.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babylove81 For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (02-09-2012),JaneDoe  (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say I wouldn't go to the 30th. It's a 5 hour round trip and I would assume an overnight stay, at a venue that is unsuitable for children. You wouldn't get to talk to her much anyway as she would be socializing and you would be trying to keep your children entertained!

I think your idea of spending time away with her together is a good one. You will actually get time together, rather than just "party time" where you can't chat all night or you'll be monoplisisng the birthday girl!

My only other thoughts are to ask your DD's friends if she can stay there the night and you and your other kid/s go to the 30th. Or DH stays home with the kids and you go to the 30th alone.
    I agree, and although you've now made your decision you don't sound completely overwhelmed (tho I know it's hard to tell in text 😳). It's a very long way to go with 2 little ones, and if she is a BFF she will completely understand why you decide not to go. I'm sure she would appreciate you and her spending time together at a later date. Either way, enjoy!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaleggos View Post
    I agree, and although you've now made your decision you don't sound completely overwhelmed (tho I know it's hard to tell in text 😳). It's a very long way to go with 2 little ones, and if she is a BFF she will completely understand why you decide not to go. I'm sure she would appreciate you and her spending time together at a later date. Either way, enjoy!
    It will definitely be an adventure! Still not entirely comfortable with it, as we do have two very young children, but this next year is all about us as a family so it's all of us or none of us.

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    im gona go asgainst the grain and say id go the the first birthday.
    I would however call my BFF and say how sorry you are and arrange to see her VERY soon. Call her on the day of her birthday and send a gift. Something really special like a singing clown or giant banner. How long until,this happens? Do you havw time to orgainse something special. I know its not the same but if shes a good friend, she'll understand. Sometimes you have to put YOUR family first!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

MyPossum  (02-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Is this friend really a BFF? The reason why I ask is that it sounds like you really can't be stuffed going. That you're trying to come up with all these little justifications for not going. A real BFF would look at things from a different mindset "I'm going to the party, how can I make things more enjoyable for my child."

If you've drifted apart from your friend then that doesn't mean you are a bad person.
    Last edited by VicPark; 02-09-2012 at 10:54.