+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Recommend me a book for a man who never reads!

So Father's Day is coming up and I asked the kids what they want to buy their Dad and they said a DVD and a book. DVD's are easy but books are hard. He NEVER reads actual books. He will read magazines and read when he was studying a while back, but that's it. Although I remember him saying a while back he would give it a go...

So does anyone know (or can you ask your husbands/partners) what book would be a good one to get him? He isn't a fantasy kind of guy, so I was thinking more along the lines of thriller or crime or something suspenseful and relatively fast-paced... not too thick either...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    A Stephen King book maybe? They are usually winners, pick a thin one..
    My DH doesn't read either but he loved 1984 by George Orwell - this is one of many books i suggested he read (i'm a huge reader) and the only one he finished. This was years ago but he still references it now and again, seemed to really enjoy it a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I love anything by Dean Koontz or James Patterson, I can't put them down.
    I also love Jodi Picoult but she probably wouldn't be to his taste lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DP enjoys Matthew Reilly's books, they are action/thriller so they might be to your partners taste.

DP favourite book is also George Orwell's 1984 (I prefer Animal Farm).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (30-08-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Recommend me a book for a man who never reads!

Go with something along the lines of the type of movies he likes. My DH loves Robert Ludlam books. They're spy novel/conspiracy novels and are very good. If he likes any of the Bourne movies he'd probably like them too

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If he doesn't really "do" reading, i'd go for something with short stories, or anecdotes, or a sporting book (if he's into sports?), biography or something. i occasionally buy DH a joke book or similar, that he can read on the loo (cos he seems to be spend soooooo much time in there!)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    if he doesnt read then get him a kids book to read to the kids, If someone gets my a reading book for me i would never read it, but i wil read to my daughter not matter how great the story is i do not do reading

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My DH is the furthest thing from a reader but he really enjoyed two biographies: Scar Tissue -Anthony Keidis (Red Hot Chili Peppers) and Slash (Guns n Roses).

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    if he doesnt read then get him a kids book to read to the kids, If someone gets my a reading book for me i would never read it, but i wil read to my daughter not matter how great the story is i do not do reading
    What a great idea, the kids get to used their idea and makes them feel pretty special about thinking of a great gift, and they get some quality time with dads. I may use this one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohh scar tissue is a great one. Very interesting and easy to read, a real page turner.