+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Obstetrician in Canberra?

I'm currently 14wks pregnant and living in Brisbane. My husband and I will be moving to Canberra in early/mid January and need a recommendation for an Obstetrician.

Dr. John Hehir and Dr. David O'Rourke's names have come up. Does anyone have any experiences/advice/recommendations? (We have also been warned off Dr. Foote.)

We will be living in north Canberra and are thinking Calvary Private might be the hospital to go with...

My Obstetrician in Brisbane doesn't really know anyone in Canberra to recommend and I can't find any websites listing Canberra Obstetricians' biographies/credentials/etc. Just names and phone numbers.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Obstetrician in Canberra?

Just refreshing this post.... Anyone on here from Canberra?? Can you help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, Just curious as to why you were warned off Dr. Foote? We moved to Canberra when I was 12 wks, and we just went with the OB our GP recommended. I've found him to be confident and professional so far, and I'm 32 wks now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    David O Rourke delivered my son in February. I was happy with him. He was quite relaxed/ laid back and not overly pushy/ bossy. He did seem really busy though. He shares his rooms with a Dr Armelian (sp?) Who doesn't deliver anymore but who always seemed to get rave reviews so I figured David would have to be ok if he was happy to work with him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsConception View Post
    Hi there, Just curious as to why you were warned off Dr. Foote? We moved to Canberra when I was 12 wks, and we just went with the OB our GP recommended. I've found him to be confident and professional so far, and I'm 32 wks now.
    Im curious about this too, I've never seen him but have heard nothing but good things from those who have. I think he did get some bad press recently due to an old case but I really dont know the details.

I like Dr Bates. I had my first with him and and seeing him again currently for my second.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I was warned off Dr Foote as well (by my hubby who is a nurse). Apparently he has a lovely bedside manner, but DH wouldn't want him looking after me if things went pear shaped. But in saying that, he did my friend's emergency c-section late last year and she didn't have anything bad to say about him.

I've heard good things about Dr O'Rourke. I also saw Dr Bates several years ago (not for pregnancy related issues) and he was nice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I should add that my Ob was Huda Younis and I loved her. She delivers at John James, which is in Deakin (inner south). Also had a really good experience there, it's run by the same company as Calvary Private.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too have heard great things about Dr O'Rourke and Huda Younis. I moved to Canberra midway through my first pregnancy and was recommended Elizabeth Gallagher. She's delivered both of mine and I was really happy with her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    im tossing up with Yunis Houda and Omar Gailani. My best friend did not have a good experience with Liz Gallagher.

One thing to keep in mind is that canberra obgyn's book out early so best to get in as soon as you can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dr O'Rourke delivered my daughter 19 months ago and is my OB for my second as well. Can't speak highly enough of him.

Clementine Grace is right though - get in ASAP. I got David O'Rourke's last spot for January when I called him at 5 weeks pregnant, and repeat patients get first look-in over newbies, so call someone now!

Just another point - have you thought about a hospital? Deakin is great, but I chose Calvary Bruce (O'Rourke delivers at both) because they have a more natural philosophy. I have nothing but praise for Calvary as well

11. The Following User Says Thank You to meatpopsicle For This Useful Post:

AlexBrownie  (31-03-2013)