+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Unhappy OMGOSH!! never been so scared in my life... poor DD

tonight DH was letting DD (5 1/2 months) play with a catalogue (she loooves them and will be content playing with them for a while) he was watching her carefully but didnt realise that she tore a bit off in her mouth. she swallowed it and it got stuck in her throat and she couldnt breathe for a couple of minutes. we tried to get it out with our fingers but couldnt we were patting her on the back to try to get her to bring it up , just as i was about to call the ambulance she managed to swallow it completely and has since been breathing ok. but my gosh that was one of the most terrifying times of my life!!! i did not like the look she had on her face whilr struggling for breath and gagging. she went red very quick. so scary. (we did call the hospitaL to see if we sould take her in to be checked out but they said that kids have eaten worse things but if she has difficulty breathing we should)

dont know why im posting this but i guess i just needed to get it out. dh wont let me tell anyone and its making me feel like a horrible parent for letting her play with it. (i let her play with it but then left her in dhs care to make a phone call)

not only that but she had a reaction to the antibiotics (penicillin based... amoxyl or something) she was prescribed. we had a bad night. poor dd. i am really sucking at being a parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    couldnt edit my op but what has your little one eaten that they shouldnt have? anyone else have a similar experience to mine. never giving he catalogues to play with ever again. she only ever scrumched the up so we thought it was fine. but she has since learnt that she can tear up pages and stick it in her mouth. lesson well LEARNT!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, you do NOT suck as a parent! You did all the right things after she had swallowed it, and you weren't even the supervisor at the time it happened! What a shock it must have given you. I suppose the saliva must have softened it enough for her to get it down after a while. Next time (and hopefully there is NOT one!), turn her over and lay her along your arm with her head just hanging over the crook of your elbow, and rub and gently tap her back. Or do a first aid course and learn this technique firsthand.

My boy has chewed on catalogues. Last time he was in the pram with one he smeared the ink all over his face and got it EVERYWHERE. He's coughed up bits of cardboard after he preffered the box to the toy, too.

As much as I try hard to keep inappropriate things out of his grasp, his cousin (4yo) was playing with a foam plastic flower toy made for 3+yo last week, and he (13mo) was snatching at it so I gave him one to prevent a tantrum. I checked it over and pulled at every bit of it, and he played for an hour or so. My sister then found a plastic cap off the end of it that had fallen on the floor...I was mortified that it could have been down his throat! So you have to be so careful. Anything they play with needs to be checked and they need to be watched like hawks at this age.

Cane your DH for being the one not watching properly! Tell anyone you like if it makes you feel better! He doesn't want people to know it happened on HIS watch, was all.

Please don't feel like a bad mum. It happens to all of us at least once.

*I just turned the puter back on to come back in and tell you to watch out for watch out for watch batteries. They are in everything from key-chain lights to remotes AND watches, and they are one of the worst things a bub can swallow. They are so tiny and slippery, they can slip down their throats, and can burn through the oesophagus or stomach wall in a matter of HOURS. The saliva and stomach acid corrodes them and the acid leaks and makes a real mess in there. Surgery is painful and fraught with difficulty (oesophaguses don't heal well or stitch easily), and a few bubs have died from this in recent years. So it could have been WAY worse. It's one to watch out for, for sure!
    Last edited by BaronessM; 30-08-2012 at 05:37. Reason: Watch battery comment

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (30-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default OMGOSH!! never been so scared in my life... poor DD

Oh how scarry! I used to LOVE ripping up paper as a baby my mum says I didn't like toys just ripping up newspapers (I was a cheap child) Ill def supervise DD around paper now, I took a first aid course and hope I can remember what to do if I need to...

Thanks
    Reviews

You are definitely not a bad parent these things happen to all of us!
    Couple mths ago DS swallowed a couple beads, DD was making necklaces.
    I'm so careful she only does it when he is napping. But 2 must have got past me when I packed it away.
    I saw them across the room as I frantically ran for them he grabbed them and swallowed immediately- i felt terrible the next day they were in his nappy!

Thanks
    Reviews

You don't suck at being a parent most children love catalogues and I use to let me children play with them around that age to.when my youngest son was about 5 1/2-6 months he had some of a catalogue stuck in his mouth he was gagging i got it out with my fingers as it was stuck on the top of his mouth (forgot what that part is called )

As parents every day we are learning something new about parenting or your child/ children don't beat yourself up over it and reassure your husband you dd is ok and it's just one of those things that can happen and that it's not his fault when my youngest son got a bit stuck on the top of his mouth my dh felt really bad didn't want to watch ds incase it happened again

Not long ago (3months ago) my dd 2yrs got into the washing powder and ate it as well as putting it in her eyes I'd have to say that was scarier than the catalogue thing that happened with ds1 as my dd's eyes were rolling into the back of her head as well as dd scream and crying she was gagging I instantly put her in the shower but she was fighting against me we then had to take her to the hospital were they had to washing eyes out while we had to hold her down it was so heart breaking

Glad to hear your dd ok it's a very scary thing
    Last edited by roz2288; 30-08-2012 at 07:38.

Thanks
    Reviews

You are not bad parents. It has happened to everyone. It is just a lesson that because they haven't done it before they learn quickly and everything goes in their mouth. Ds bit off and swalloweda few big chunks of polystyrene. Once he had swallowed it I figured it would be ok. 24hours later it was in the nappy. He sucked on the handle of a toilet brush. Once when I was cleaning the car he was playing in there - maybe 18 months. He found matches a quietly sat there and broke them and chewed on the heads. Whoops. I have been very lucky but it happens to everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    Hi, you do NOT suck as a parent! You did all the right things after she had swallowed it, and you weren't even the supervisor at the time it happened! What a shock it must have given you. I suppose the saliva must have softened it enough for her to get it down after a while. Next time (and hopefully there is NOT one!), turn her over and lay her along your arm with her head just hanging over the crook of your elbow, and rub and gently tap her back. Or do a first aid course and learn this technique firsthand.

My boy has chewed on catalogues. Last time he was in the pram with one he smeared the ink all over his face and got it EVERYWHERE. He's coughed up bits of cardboard after he preffered the box to the toy, too.

As much as I try hard to keep inappropriate things out of his grasp, his cousin (4yo) was playing with a foam plastic flower toy made for 3+yo last week, and he (13mo) was snatching at it so I gave him one to prevent a tantrum. I checked it over and pulled at every bit of it, and he played for an hour or so. My sister then found a plastic cap off the end of it that had fallen on the floor...I was mortified that it could have been down his throat! So you have to be so careful. Anything they play with needs to be checked and they need to be watched like hawks at this age.

Cane your DH for being the one not watching properly! Tell anyone you like if it makes you feel better! He doesn't want people to know it happened on HIS watch, was all.

Please don't feel like a bad mum. It happens to all of us at least once.

*I just turned the puter back on to come back in and tell you to watch out for watch out for watch batteries. They are in everything from key-chain lights to remotes AND watches, and they are one of the worst things a bub can swallow. They are so tiny and slippery, they can slip down their throats, and can burn through the oesophagus or stomach wall in a matter of HOURS. The saliva and stomach acid corrodes them and the acid leaks and makes a real mess in there. Surgery is painful and fraught with difficulty (oesophaguses don't heal well or stitch easily), and a few bubs have died from this in recent years. So it could have been WAY worse. It's one to watch out for, for sure!
    My bold: I find this really sad. Maybe her DH doesn't wan her to tell anyone because he already feel like a horrible parent and doesn't want unhelpful and crap commnts like this?
    So bascally, when a kid swallows something on a Mums watch, it's okay, i happens t everyone, bu if it happens to a Dad, cane him, he should have been watching closer, he has no right to feel like a horrid parent, so let's make it worse for him? How ridiculous.

To the OP: Kids will be kids, no matter the ages. It was an accident, thankfully not a tragic one. I'm sure your hubby is rattlled enough as it is, so maybe go and give him a cuddle and listen to his freak out. Guaranteed he's got some pretty aweful thoughts in his head bout it.
    And yes. It wasn't even my kid. I was babysitting for a friend and was cutting up a carrot ito little cubey chunky bits, and I accidentally knocked a piece on the floor and left it til I finished the rest of the carrot. The child got ahold of it and tried to swallow ti whole, or inhaled it or something . I freaked out SO much. Thankfully, the kid was okay, but I thought I was going to keel over dead at the time.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (30-08-2012),Meld85  (30-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with everything Roz Said!

My dd chews on things like that quite often (I have a 3.5yr old so she gets into things he's playing with!) she pooped some out a few times and I could still read the print on it! :\

Your not a bad parent at all!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: OMGOSH!! never been so scared in my life... poor DD

Last edited by LifeInShadesOfGrey; 27-01-2014 at 23:01.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (30-08-2012)