+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default **Sensitive topic** Giving birth to a baby to donate its organs

It would not be possible in Australia as a to donate organs you need to be brain dead however still have circulation. B) organs are not donatable from infants under 1 year of age. I work in a major hospital where we perform organ transplants and those are 2 of the many rules surrounding donation in australia.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Surely a baby that was not compatible with life wouldn't have healthy enough organs to donate anyway?

No I wouldn't carry a baby to just donate it's organs. If I had a baby who was terminally sick, I would consider organ donation at the last possible moment but once again, I am sure a very sick baby wouldn't have organs that were adequate for transplant.

Thanks
    Reviews

Chromosomal abnormalities wouldn't be compatible with those requiring the transplant, their body would reject it. Even with anti rejection meds.

It's not really a viable option...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: **Sensitive topic** Giving birth to a baby to donate its organs

Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Private Practice was about exactly this last week.

***Sent from my phone***
    I was thinking about this as soon as I read it. I wasn't sure if it had aired in Aus yet because I watched it a few months ago.

I can't say what I would do but I'm pretty sure doctors wouldn't allow you to anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Saying women who have considered this clearly don't have kids is uncalled for

We were only able to find out after 30 weeks via a very stressful late amnio that ds was fine-not affected by a terminal genetic condition. We were asked by the head of the genetics dept as it would result in death to consider carrying to term and donating his body to science. Ds wouldn't have lived more than 72 hours if he had this condition but all organs aside from his brain would be fine.

We were incredibly lucky 50/50 chance and ds was fine- but if he wasn't his donated body may well have saved lives. I'm glad we didn't end up there- but we made the hard decision that we would so his life short though it would have been could have helped others.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babybabycakes For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (31-08-2012),beebs  (03-09-2012),fairyflossfairy  (31-08-2012),Mulva  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Mmmm I'm not sure how I feel about this. First thought is I don't like it.

What if the baby with birth defects didn't actually die naturally after birth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    babaybabycakes ~ I'm so sorry to hear of the situation and am so glad your DS was and is ok. I read your situation differently than I read the original Q; I assumed a callous type reaction from the mother, as though she was wanting to birth the baby just to harvest it's organs without hope it may live a normal life. I saw it as a negative reaction to disbility/difference, and I'm glad you posted, as it shows me how different the reality is to the hypothetical.

I have a feeling if the above posts about policy in aus hospitals are true, donation to medical science' may be a different thing to actual transplantation, correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I meant to mention that above ~ what if the tests are wrong, and the baby is fine? What if the level of impairment is not that great? I am a circus person and the circus is built of difference and human anomaly. I hate the idea that science can make us all 'normal' and wipe out difference and people with three legs.

On the saviour-sibling thing, some people want not so much the baby as the placental stem cells to help their earlier child. I personally would find my conscience wouldn't allow me to have a second child primarily as a donor to a first, however much I wanted another child anyway. Some of these arguements can be very powerful and emotive, though.

So I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I just meant that anyone who has loved a child in the womb would find it very hard to disconnect that bond once they are born.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ive never been in a situation like that.. but i would really like to think that i would offer my babies organs to help a few more babies with their live..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: **Sensitive topic** Giving birth to a baby to donate its organs

There's a whole bunch of "what if"s but mainly if my babies organs are well formed and full sized and totally viable to be used to keep another baby alive... how is my baby also so badly formed that it is not viable.

And if that was the case how would they know 100% my baby wasn't viable.

If I was not very far along, no way, no how... if somehow there could be no doubt of it not being able to survive I couldn't continue with 20 more weeks incubating organs. It's way to morbid. But if it were nearly full term I'd like to think I could have the clarity that if baby was born, fought for life and died but organs could still be used to save another baby... I'd like to think I'd have the clarity to make that call. But I also think it's pretty unlikely.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This was the premise of a theme running through the last half of the last season of Private Practice. The finale had the birth of the baby, and the harvesting of the organs (which almost didn't go ahead due to ethical issues).