+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default **Sensitive topic** Giving birth to a baby to donate its organs

I just came across someone's view of terminating a baby with birth defects that are not compatible with life. Their suggestion was to instead of terminate, give birth to the child so you can donate their viable organs.
    I don't know how I feel about this, but thought perhaps it could be an interesting topic of conversation.
    Mods, please move it to a more appropriate area if need be.
    Last edited by Guest1234; 30-08-2012 at 01:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Ohhh. Wow. That's a tough one. In some way it sounds like a great idea, but then in another not so much. Imagine having to carry that baby to term and then having it die. While its nice that the organs will help other babies there is just so much attached to the reality of it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Definitely a hugely sensitive topic!!!

I can only speak of what I would do;

If I was told my baby was not 'viable' I would need the arguments to be pretty convincing for me to automatically decide to give it up. I think if there was the slightest glimmer of hope I would try for my baby's sake.

However, I could not carry my child to term, just to have it used like that.

I know it's essentially the same thing, I guess I would just not be able to cope with that mentally. I'd have a hard enough time trying to cope with the information that my baby will not live outside my body in the first place.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peaze For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (30-08-2012),Meld85  (30-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being 'not viable' and being used for your organs are SO a different thing. Thank goodness this would most likely not happen due to most hospital ethics dept's veto-ing it. How would you 'put the baby to sleep?' Let it die naturally? What if it didn't? I'm talking hypothetically here, as I have huge, emotional probs with this personally.

The organs would not be functioning optimally, as they are only so, so young. Many would not survive transplantation, I expect. Even babies recieve little, cut off bits of livers due to them being easier to transplant into tiny bodies and baby organs are so seldom available. The microsurgery required would be very difficult, and if they are t'planted into other babies, anti-rejection drugs have most probably not been cleared for the very, very young.

Thank goodness the issues are huge and multitudinous, and I doubt any doctors worth their salt would allow this to happen. That said, there are plenty o docs out there not worth their salt, plenty of Dr Mengele style ones, too.

Even having a 'saviour baby' via IVF to (potentially) save a sibling is fraught with difficulty and a thousand obstacles. The government knocks back most of the approval and funding requests for this as the ethics are so hairy.

Damn interesting discussion topic, though!

Sounds like whoever came up with this idea has never birthed a baby.
    Last edited by BaronessM; 30-08-2012 at 05:08. Reason: Too early in the morning to think about this hairiness and have decent grammar at the same time!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (31-08-2012),Atlantic Puffin  (31-08-2012),giggle berry  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    Well said!!

I think it's a very hairy topic!

I honestly cant imagine many mothers would be able to go through this emotionally. When you recall the moment your handed your precious little bub- then to think.....it just seems so... inhuman

I think I'd be much more inclined to agree to the animal organs being used, or another hairy one- embryo harvesting, it just seems less cruel.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Such a tough one, I mean, imagine if one of your other children needed a transplant and this could potentially save their life. I don't think I could do it for a strange on the organ list. But I don't know if I wouldn't do it if it could save one of my own kids life. I think It is one of those ones where I just wouldn't know what I would do unless I was in the situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    Being 'not viable' and being used for your organs are SO a different thing. Thank goodness this would most likely not happen due to most hospital ethics dept's veto-ing it. How would you 'put the baby to sleep?' Let it die naturally? What if it didn't? I'm talking hypothetically here, as I have huge, emotional probs with this personally.

The organs would not be functioning optimally, as they are only so, so young. Many would not survive transplantation, I expect. Even babies recieve little, cut off bits of livers due to them being easier to transplant into tiny bodies and baby organs are so seldom available. The microsurgery required would be very difficult, and if they are t'planted into other babies, anti-rejection drugs have most probably not been cleared for the very, very young.

Thank goodness the issues are huge and multitudinous, and I doubt any doctors worth their salt would allow this to happen. That said, there are plenty o docs out there not worth their salt, plenty of Dr Mengele style ones, too.

Even having a 'saviour baby' via IVF to (potentially) save a sibling is fraught with difficulty and a thousand obstacles. The government knocks back most of the approval and funding requests for this as the ethics are so hairy.

Damn interesting discussion topic, though!

^^ what she said!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

It kind of reminds me of 'My Sisters Keeper'.

It's an interesting idea, but it's one that I personally mulled over for a minute and put it in the too hard basket.

Personally, I couldn't terminate anyway. I am so upset by the thought of the baby having a horrible, painful life, but I just couldn't terminate. There is no test accurate enough for me to decide that it's kinder to terminate.

I personally cringe at the idea of 'saviour babies'. I have two kids, and I know that the minute I see two lines on a stick I already feel attached to and love for the possibility of a new baby. Its such 'icky' territory. I understand those who would do this very well, but I still personally could never do it. I'm one who believes that the little baby is a person even before it's born, and so I feel I identify more with the baby's right to enjoy a normal life, than with the decision to have a baby to provide bone marrow etc for my first born.

I do however support the idea of stem cell research and all that... In my perfect world, they would grow just the organ/product they needed, and not an actual embryo. I know it's a giant double standard, but I feel that an embryo who was created in a lab, from unidentified donors is a very different kettle of fish than a baby who was created by two already loving parents, who might have been created for the sole purpose of loving him/her had the circumstances be different.

Also, I have very limited knowledge on stem cell research. And even more limited experience with this whole topic. I'm going by my heart here...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: **Sensitive topic** Giving birth to a baby to donate its organs

Its a hairy one that's for sure. I think even though it would heartbreaking to know that the lil bundle of joy you have been carrying will not live outside of your body its also heartbreaking thinking of all the lil babies fighting for their lifes cos they need a new heart or lungs.one lil baby can save the lives of 5,10 or even 15 really sick baby that wouldnt of lived without it. It would be hard don't dout about it but it would mean the lil babies life will mean so much more and the other baby will get to go home and grow up to get married and have kids of their own cos one set of brave perents donated their babies orgons that is how I would want my baby to be remember as being a lifesaver

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: **Sensitive topic** Giving birth to a baby to donate its organs

Private Practice was about exactly this last week.

***Sent from my phone***