+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What is trust??

Strange question I know but I've just realized something;

I'm in a situation with a close loved one where he's let me (and many others) down for so many years, that now he's turned his life around which is a great and positive thing, I am very distrustful of him.

I completely believe that I'm being paranoid and probably just need time to regain it. It's only been a week...

It just made me wonder; what is trust? How do you gain it? Is it conscious? Or is it a feeling based thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default What is trust??

Trust is really complex, IMO.
    It is where you expose your vulnerabilities to people, and believing they will not take advantage of you. It's gained by people showing their trustworthiness and because for most people they can have faith in others.
    For me, trust is broken, but it is also something for someone to earn from me. I'll trust relative strangers to a point, but I'm not going to completely bare all. Some of it may be as a result of mutual trust, you trust me, I trust you kind of thing.
    I am generally a very trusting person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think trust (in people) is the belief that a person has your best interests at heart. That's it in ione sentence, but as PP says, it's a complex issue, and it changes depending upon what the subject of the trust is. Trust in a seatbelt not failing. Trust in your lover. Trust in your dog not going under the back fence...all are different things!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

babyla  (30-08-2012),FearlessLeader  (30-08-2012),Guest1234  (30-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What is trust??

It's interesting to me as I am 25 years old and have only just, for the first time ever, encountered an actual mistrust of someone so close to me that I basically had no other choice than to work on regaining it!

I have always been cautious as I believe I'm very aware. I have encountered losing trust in someone, to which I basically respond by leaving or the like.

However, I've never had to actively work on regaining trust in someone I loved. It is a brand new thing for me and so I genuinely am not sure of how to do it!

I literally just had an encounter with this person in which I chose to be upfront and honest about my feelings of mistrust surrounding the situation that happened earlier tonight.

I was met with an open heart and an honest response, which has made me feel a little more at ease. For now.

I just wonder how long it will take to regain the trust?

I agree with PP on the fact that trust needs to be proven!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peaze For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What is trust??

Still not sure..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    I think trust (in people) is the belief that a person has your best interests at heart. That's it in ione sentence, but as PP says, it's a complex issue, and it changes depending upon what the subject of the trust is. Trust in a seatbelt not failing. Trust in your lover. Trust in your dog not going under the back fence...all are different things!
    Yes, yes, yes - best interests at heart! When you realise someone doesn't have your best interests at heart you lose all trust. And it hurts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What is trust??

I believe trust is intrinsic. I believe it has a lot to do with one's own character, morals and beliefs.

I'm a person who has always been incredibly trusting of others, almost naively. I've never been one to question another's motives.

I have in recent years had my trust completely thrown in my face. I still want to believe the best in people and take things at face value... And I really hope that my care freeness has not been eternally robbed from me.

I have friends who are always questioning, accusing and suspicious of their partners. I never want to be a person who feels the need to check up on someone. I find that torturous!!

I'm not sure if I've answered your question properly :/

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What is trust??

Trust I think you have it as a child, parents, friends, somehow inevitably you learn that trust can be broken then as an adult depending on how damaging your experiences have been you can trust fast or slow one person or many... But the lesson is learned and trust is never given easy. I trusted my MIL and was quite close with her for a long time, I would brush off my DH's warnings saying 'you don't understand where she's coming from'. And her daughters would try to tell me that she was laying but all I was hearing were teens making excuses for themselves... Boy oh boy was I wrong she is mental I mean unstable and completely mad! Totally untrustworthy and a B***s**t artist. Learned that one the hard way, now I don't even believe her when she says the sky is blue...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What is trust??

Trust is very complex and I think its different from person to person, if you have decided that even though they broke your trust you want to work on building it up again then I think the first thing I would do is to look at the incident or situation and ask yourself was it done out of maliciousness or was it because of the persons weaknesses. For me I have had heaps of incidents of loved ones breaking my trust I found it easiest to forgive and rebuild when I saw them
    For what they a human with weakness, for those who didn't give damn about what they did or said I didn't try to rebuild. Hope that helps your situation a little