+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Still not walking...

Hi

My DD is 16 months and has no interest in walking! My son walked at 12 months and I always said 'if she's not walking by 18 months then I'll look into physio' but I realised the other day that that is not far away!

She can stand on her own, she has done it a bunch of times but will do it a few times then not want to do it again for a while. When standing on her own she can do it for about 3 seconds, the longest time was prob 5 seconds.

She can walk along with her push along walker without a problem and can walk holding my hands, but most of the time she just doesn't want to! Sometimes she will walk along on her knees, and she walks along furnitre fine, so I think it is a case of her just being a lazy (and cheeky!) little girl!

If your child was a late walker, at what age did they start to walk and did they need special help? Should I be worried? I'm not (yet) but just wondering at what age should I be seeking help?

Thank you in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This probably won't be much help but I walked at 16 months and my sister at 17 months. Neither of us had or have any physical issues at all. I actually asked Mum about it once (when my bubs were little) and she said that it was just considered late walking in the 70s and no-one got concerned about it. But we're talking 30-40 years ago here By the sounds of what you said I'd say it won't be long before she's toddling around by herself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you teenie that is very helpful to know that late walkers grow up with no developmental issues.

apparently my dad was 18 months when he walked, so maybe she is taking after her poppy, hehe. Right now at this stage, it feels like she will never walk... Esp when she falls to her knees when I try to stand her up lol.
    Thank You again

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 didnt start walking until he was just under 16 months and that was only due to us REALLY encouraging him. He was just lazy

DH and I would just sit down facing each other and encourage him to walk between us and the gap between me and DH gradually got bigger and bigger! We also made a real fuss if he took a couple steps on his own.

Maybe you could try this if you havent already?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi fertile mertile yeah we have tried that but it is very tricky because she very rarely actually stands on her own, she usually just drops to her knees! So lazy! Hehe. We make a big fuss when she stands on her own, praising and clapping... She actually started clapping for herself while she was standing, it was very cute, haha.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Still not walking...

She sounds like my DS1! He rarely stood on his own. It wasn't until after he was walking that he started to do it.
    To start with DH and I literally had to sit close enough so we could hold DSs hands (which was really difficult for DH as he is not flexible ) and kinda pass him to each other. I'm sure she will walk soon especially if she is cruising all over the place! I know it's very frustrating too but she will get there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mummabrain - how is she going? Any progress?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 able bodied children have been late walkers. Dd took her first steps at 17 months, fully walking by 18 months. Ds2 took his first steps at 17 months, fully walked at 19 months. You wouldn't be able to tell that dd was a late walker now at 4. Ds2 at 21 months is trying to run now and is making up for lost time I think because he now never sits down - always going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know a little girl who started walking at 26 months. Nothing wrong with her (the parents had some tests done), she just didn't want to walk!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys

DD is still not walking! She is 17 months now... Hopefully soon!! (Then I will wish she was still crawling, I'm sure!).

Thanks for all the info and support It helps to know that there are other late walkers out there!