+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! I need to kick family out.... Nicely!

How do I get rid of my brother and his family, nicely?

He literally sent me a text one day 5 weeks ago that they were coming to stay, himself, his partner and their 4 year-old. But they've now 'moved in' and as much as I love my brother and nephew, I'm a single mum eith lots on my plate and it's driving me insane. I feel as though they're taking me for granted.

Its too disruptive, and I want my peace and quiet back.

How do I kick them out?? Without being a biatch?

Note: they left their current property due to a disagreement with the landlord who is a family member if my brother's partner. They've basically moved in with me. I want to help my brother, but his partner does nothing around the house and certainly nothing to help me. But it was only meant to be a temporary arrangement yet they're making no effort to find their own place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Let me know when you figure it out! I have a housemate who is a friend. We said she could stay until she got herself a full time job and got settled into this city but that was 4 months ago. We calmly told her tonight that she had to start paying a set amount of rent and helping with the household jobs and keeping her room clean, just because it is her room it is still our lease and our bond money.
    I think saying she has to pay rent ( she was previously just paying bills) might help push her out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I personally think being up front and honest is the way to go. I know it's hard, but it is better than beating around the bush.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just tell them your lease states only 2 people can live in the house, and your real estate agent is really mean..

Thats if you rent..

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Help! I need to kick family out.... Nicely!

I've had to kick out a few 'guests'. The best way to do it is to be pretty frank. Tell them you would like to sit down with them to help them come up with a plan to move out, and offer to help them search. Make it sound like you'll be doing them a favour by helping them look. Get them both together and ask them to agree to a time to have a meeting. Then sit down with them and ask them what they've done so far to look, what their essentials and desired features are, what areas they want to look in, all the practical things they need to do. I think in a lot of these situations people are setting their sights too high, and think if they just wait something will come up. But they need to accept what they can get right now, not keep looking forever.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep - I suppose you're right... It scares the heck out of me. I guess I'm a gutless wonder... I hate being in this position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Help! I need to kick family out.... Nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Yep - I suppose you're right... It scares the heck out of me. I guess I'm a gutless wonder... I hate being in this position.

I feel your pain. I think I would be so resentful if any of my family or friends put me in the same position!
    ***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    I feel your pain. I think I would be so resentful if any of my family or friends put me in the same position!
    ***Sent from my phone***
    Yep I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of resentment....
    Last edited by Baracuda; 20-09-2012 at 13:59.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    one of my hubby's mates moved in .. and while he is realllllllly low maintenance - it drove me insane ... it was ok for the two weeks that he was SUPPOSED to be there .. lol - but when it got to 4 weeks .. I just asked him (over a cuppa) so .. when are you leaving again? Jamie didn't tell me a date ... just need to know - because I think the inlaws are coming up for a visit soon and we just dont have the room at the moment...

he was open and honest .. within a day or so he had given me a date .. and a week later he had moved out...

might be tbh .. but I deliberately danced nude between the bathroom and bedroom that night to celebrate its a basic right to be able to do so in your own space and you just cant do it when you have visitors

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i would be sitting him down and nicely having a chat...about bills/rent/privacy etc

explain that you love him, but you like living just you and DS and it is becoming hard to manage when they are there and not helping.

Maybe give him till the end of Spet to find a place and move out...however, it does seem that perhaps the reason they fell out with her family...is due to taking advantage and being a bit lazy?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Baracuda  (30-08-2012)