+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Stick with the wrap. Sometimes you just have to go with what works, even if it isn't what you thought you would do!

I know how frustrating it is when they are sleeping well and suddenly it all changes. My DD slept brilliantly until 4 months and then started waking up all the time. It peaked at about 6-7 months, with her waking up every hour. We were all exhausted and had no idea what to do. Then when she turned 8 months old, we went overseas and didn't have a travel cot so she slept in between me and DH in our bed. She suddenly started sleeping through the night and has been that way ever since! She is now 12 months and DH is angling to move her back out of our bed, but I really don't want to rock the boat!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6m old night sleep HELP

I feel your pain.
    By 6mth old hasn't slept more then 3 hour intervals since he was born.
    He's now waking every 2 hours (I'm glad I'm not alone) to only go back to sleep with the breast so he is sleeping in bed with me as well.
    He WON'T self settle or even be patted/ what ever in he's cot. It's either the breast pram rocking or if I'm up to it rocking in my arms for about 20 minutes fighting him to not wiggle down and try and drink throw my top. Lol.
    So it's nice to know I'm not alone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Babyduck77 View Post
    Hi everyone my ds is 7 months as well and terrible at night. He was ok up until about 5 months. He seems to have lots of wind pain from solids? We also got rid of the wrap as he is rolling... Now he wakes up all the time... I feed if it's been more than 2 hours otherwise I rock,
    My dd1 - previously s great sleeper got horrible during 6-12mths. It's not you. It's them.

Her horrible sleeping I put down to solids as well. I was limiting bf so she would eat more but all she ever did was wake up more overnight to catch up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Hi all. Well despite being fully wrapped, last night was bad again. Here is what happened:
    *710am down
    *140am up for feed
    *205am cry, I settled with dummy
    *305am cry, was unwrapped. I rewrapped and gave dummy
    *335 same as 305 but I needed to pat him too
    *505am cry, wouldn't settle. Gave feed
    *550am cry , self settle
    *7ish cry, self settle
    *730am up

Do I need to take him to a pediatrician?

His day sleeps are worse too, back to 35-45 min cat naps.

If its solids causing pain, should I go back to just plain rice cereal?
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 31-08-2012 at 07:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Im not an expert but it sounds like bub has sleep association problems, caused by sleep aids and not being able to self settle well. Hence bub Is having problems sleeping for longer periods. That and possible hunger.

Below are some suggestions.

1.It might not be an easy or popular route but I'd go cold turkey on the dummy. You might have 2-3 rough nights but in the long run it will be worth it. Dummy's can cause wakenings and can interfere with bubs ability to self settle through the night. (if dummy falls out, during a sleep cycle changeover bub can wake). Giving up the dummy is a pre-requisite for getting into the sleep school where I live.

2. always put bub in bed awake (drowsy ok, just not asleep) (If bub wakes and the thing that got them to sleep is no longer happening, they may crack it).

3. don't pat to sleep or use any other aids (reason as above)

4. up solids/protein

5. use a breathable comforter with your smell (eg a square of light muslin wrap shoved down your bra for a day)

6. if you think something may be wrong see a doctor just to rule out medical issues

7. try a dreamfeed at 10pm (bubs at 6 months are capable of sleepig through but if your bub is smaller and/or the sleep is out of whack a dreamfeed may help)

8. keep an eye on how much bub sleeps through the day. At 6 months bubs need (average only) 14 hours. Usually 11 overnight and 2 x 1.5 hour sleeps during the day. If bub is sleeping heaps during the day (or not enough!) night sleep can be screwed.

9. I would also not let bub sleep past 4pm if you want bub to go to bed at 7.

Good luck!
    Last edited by VicPark; 31-08-2012 at 08:17.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 6m old night sleep HELP

Poor thing, i totally understand. Our dd slept thru from 3 weeks to 6mths and as soon as 6 mths hit, it all went to hell. I cant type atm...but i have some great tips that have helped us...dd is now 14mths nd has slept thru the last 2 weeks. Its a long hard road, but it gets better. Dd also has her dummy for sleep only

Sent from my GT-I5503T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Vicpark, yeah I know what you mean. Also a few times he has cried with the dummy in his mouth which suggests he wasn't crying for it, or sometimes I pop it in and he still cries, so needs a pat.
    So hard.
    Oh and not sleeping much during the day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Vicpark, yeah I know what you mean. Also a few times he has cried with the dummy in his mouth which suggests he wasn't crying for it, or sometimes I pop it in and he still cries, so needs a pat.
    So hard.
    Oh and not sleeping much during the day!
    I did try a dummy with bub early on but he would settle for a bit and then cry out. I hid in his room behind the door and watched him (without him seeing me). Sure enough bub would be nearly asleep, the dummy would fall out and he would crack it. I got sick of putting the dummy back in and so we threw it away.

Perhaps 'spying' on your bubba and trying to work out from bubs perspective what is happening would help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Try blockout curtains (you can get from hardware stores for cheap) or alfoil on windows. Some sleep schools suggest this until bub learns to sleep well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: 6m old night sleep HELP

Sorry not sure if you are bf or ff, but I find the same with dd after that initial big sleep it is crazy for the rest of the night. What I have discovered is a longer first visit to her works. She wakes around 1am so I feed on one side, burp and try keep her awake, change nappy even if unnecessary, feed second side then burp and hold upright for around 15min. She is still wrapped tight. Make sure she is warm as this is when night temp cools. This can take up to an hour, but being up longer initially I find gets us about a 3-4 sleep after that. Sometimes I need to feed her at 4am, sometimes not. One other thing I find, is too much variety with food in the day upsets her tummy, so I stick to 1 type (avocado I have found sits best with her) and unlimited daytime breastfeeds. She is 6months, has never slept through the night, is still wrapped as I have watched her sleep and her arms still jerk in her sleep which wakes her. They are all different, DD1 I stopped wrapping at 2 months. Braurs stomach calm.and teething relief has also helped, I dont think panadol is wise unless absolutely necessary. Good luck.