+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How did you heal your nipple fissure?

As the title says, I'm looking for some advice on healing an infected nipple fissure. I have one on my left nipple so I have an anti-bacterial cream that I've just started using today but it's SO painful. I've had it for over a week now (DD is 2.5 weeks) and I don't know whether it hurts less than it did a few days ago or I've just gotten used to it! Aside from the intense pain when she latches on, I have an ache that goes right through to my back which is there all the time and very uncomfortable.

So, I'm wondering whether it will just heal up itself or if I need to resort to using a nipple shield or pumping for a couple of days to give it a break. Any ideas/advice welcome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: How did you heal your nipple fissure?

I pumped until it was better. For me it was less painful than having him attached for every feed. I still fed him off the other side and would top up from expressed milk.

It took a lot of work but I'm glad I kept going. After it healed I was able to feed him until he was 2 yrs old so I'm glad I stuck through the pain.

Are you seeing anyone about it?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used a silicone nipple shield - it helped so much and made feeding bearable. After it healed I had no more probs and fed dd til she was 2. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tadpoles View Post
    I pumped until it was better. For me it was less painful than having him attached for every feed. I still fed him off the other side and would top up from expressed milk.

It took a lot of work but I'm glad I kept going. After it healed I was able to feed him until he was 2 yrs old so I'm glad I stuck through the pain.

Are you seeing anyone about it?

Yep I've seen my GP so I have the prescription cream to kill the infection but she didn't really have any solid advice on the fissure itself healing. I'm definitely not going to give up, just verrry keen for it to be healed! Feeding on my right side is a dream so I know how great things will be once it is healed. How long did yours take to heal up?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used Lanolin from the pharmacy and expressed for 48hrs. It really helped! It will get better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is a fissure a cracked nipple? My mw told me to pump all but one feed off that side (feed normally off other side), and each day decrease by one how many times you pump and feed off it instead. Do this til you are feeding off if normally again. It worked for me.

Also check baby's mouth for thrush, when I had a cracked nipple my son got thrush in his mouth and passed it to me (easier through a crack). And that pain that feels like a stabbing pain shooting through your breast to your back is exactly what it felt like.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: How did you heal your nipple fissure?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    Yep I've seen my GP so I have the prescription cream to kill the infection but she didn't really have any solid advice on the fissure itself healing. I'm definitely not going to give up, just verrry keen for it to be healed! Feeding on my right side is a dream so I know how great things will be once it is healed. How long did yours take to heal up?
    Ooh that's testing my memory!! I think it took a week or so to heal but I did make the mistake of attempting to feed him on that side before it was completely healed, having him not latch properly and had to wait for it to heal again. I do know that we were feeding well by the time he was 6 wks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Is a fissure a cracked nipple? My mw told me to pump all but one feed off that side (feed normally off other side), and each day decrease by one how many times you pump and feed off it instead. Do this til you are feeding off if normally again. It worked for me.

Also check baby's mouth for thrush, when I had a cracked nipple my son got thrush in his mouth and passed it to me (easier through a crack). And that pain that feels like a stabbing pain shooting through your breast to your back is exactly what it felt like.
    Yep it's a cracked nipple. So horrible! Did you feed the expressed milk to your baby or just keeping feeding off the one side until going back to both? She's so young still and I was hoping not to have to use bottles this early.

And it's definitely not thrush as I had a swab test done, it's a staph infection. My GP said the pain going through to the back is from the fissure as it can hit the nerves. Oh the joys!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing!! Sooo painful. I had a day off feeding on that side, pumped a bit. When I started feeding again, I changed to the football hold as the fissure was excruciating the usual way. I tried a few weird angles, anything to get her off it. Once latched though after the initial pain, it would ease as the nipple softened but it wasn't infected like yours. I was using paw paw ointment on lc advice which seemed to heal it well, she said to keep it moist to heal quicker. Gradually though, I got thrush as it was healing but getting sore again so had to use cream for that as well as gel for bub. I hope you don't have thrush as well but be aware of it just in case. Have you seen an LC? May be worth a visit. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    Yep it's a cracked nipple. So horrible! Did you feed the expressed milk to your baby or just keeping feeding off the one side until going back to both? She's so young still and I was hoping not to have to use bottles this early.

And it's definitely not thrush as I had a swab test done, it's a staph infection. My GP said the pain going through to the back is from the fissure as it can hit the nerves. Oh the joys!
    Ouch! Yes I fed the expressed milk to them, I always had 2 feeds in the fridge so would feed off the good side, then use one of the EBM in fridge, then express off the sore side and put that in the fridge. I didn't find the bottle affected attachment as it started getting better around that stage, but if you are worried maybe call the ABA for advice- I've heard of people using a cup or syringe to avoid problems caused by bottle feeding.

Keep going,this is the hardest part and it's SO worth persevering!