+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default HELP!! Dolly Varden Cakes

I'm using the tin as part of DS's cake and the trial run today didn't go so well.

I bought the pan with the bar down the centre which supposedly helps with even cooking, but after today, I'm not convinced!!

The tin said to cook for an hour, but when I tested it, the middle was gooey, and it sunk in the middle!! It took 90 mins to cook all up.

So for the real thing, do I just cook for 90 mins and hope it doesn't sink when I take it out, or do I cook it without the bar??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I've never used a bar with mine but what type of cake are you baking??? I did a mud cake one year for my ds it took forever so now I just do a standard chocolate cake

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

Californication  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

That's all this one is - just a standard chocolate cake. I make it all the time and it's never sunk on me before!

How long do you normally cook yours on, and what temp? I did 170 as that's what I normally use. It's a convection oven and I've found the edges too crusty at 180. So I cook a little slower and longer. But the tin said 170, so not sure why it took longer. Tastes ok. Just don't want it to sink as worried about its integrity when I move it to the board and don't want it breaking!!

Thanks
    Reviews

What about just baking a couple of cakes and layering them with thin layers of whatever and cutting the shape of the tin.....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to queenvee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive NEVER used a tin. I bake the cakes in a pirex (sp?) bowl, take the legs off the doll and just put the bottom of the doll into the cake once its iced.
    Ive also done and icecream cake for it too
    DSCF3251.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

If you are going to use the same tin for the real thing, I would just leave it for longer (especially if it was gooey in the middle. Definitely sounds undercooked). If it was well cooked on the outside, maybe drop it to 150-160 and cook even longer?

I once made a very big cake in my Nanas really old oven which didn't get very hot at all. It had been in there for 2.5hrs and I kept looking in on it, and it wast getting much colour and it hadn't risen in the middle at all, but after 2.5hrs I went digging with a skewer and it was perfectly cooked, it just looked raw. It also felt nice and firm.

It was the. Best. Cake. Ever! Moist and light, but at the same time dense like a mud cake. So now when I cook any cake or cupcakes I put the oven at 150 and bake by feel and smell. It makes the best cakes for icing as they don't have that bump on top (which I always sliced off. Badly).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daydream Believer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    What type of doll did you put in the middle of your DS' cake?

OP I have never used a tin so not much help- I always used a pudding bowl
    I just bought a cheapie doll from $2 shop and pulled legs off

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I use a basic butter cake mixture and drop temp to 130-150 fan forced and leave for 1hr -75min. This is for a double batch mixture in the tin. Also rotate the tin halfway thru cooking.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 12yo who is an amazing cake maker. She makes cakes for friends and made this one for a 4yo last weekend

She used a Pyrex bowl and 2 chocolate cake mixes, then made her own frosting which she coloured with fondant colour to get a richer colour.

The Pyrex bowl seems foolproof (though I couldnt do it!), it takes nearly an hour to bake. We bought a Barbie with a spike from a cake store because it looks neater.

t

16. The Following User Says Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    The problem is the shape of the container. It reduces the ability to cook evenly because it isn't even. I found boiled cakes better for the shape than regular ones. Boiled chocolate cake is yummo
    Yes, and that's what this bar was apparently supposed to help with - even cooking. If I'd known, I would have saved myself $12 and bought the one without it!!

Do you have a good boiled recipe? I've never done a boiled one before.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    If you are going to use the same tin for the real thing, I would just leave it for longer (especially if it was gooey in the middle. Definitely sounds undercooked). If it was well cooked on the outside, maybe drop it to 150-160 and cook even longer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I use a basic butter cake mixture and drop temp to 130-150 fan forced and leave for 1hr -75min. This is for a double batch mixture in the tin. Also rotate the tin halfway thru cooking.
    I'm thinking this could be an option too. Just cook it low and slow and see what happens. I'm a pretty good baker, but haven't used one of these tins before. Glad I decided to have a practice run!! I'm using it as a mountain, so it doesn't have to be perfect, but I don't want a huge hollow in the middle either as don't want it to fall apart!